A Brief History
Cal Poly Pomona opened on Sept. 15, 1938, with an all-male enrollment of 110 students as the Voorhis Unit of California State Polytechnic College in San Luis Obispo. It was located on the 150-acre San Dimas site of the former Voorhis School for Boys.
Breakfast cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg deeded 813 acres of land located three miles south of the Voorhis campus to the state of California in 1949.
In 1956, 508 students and 44 faculty and staff moved from San Dimas to the Kellogg campus. In a first for the all-male campus, 329 women joined the student body in 1961. The Pomona campus separated from the San Luis Obispo campus in 1966 and became California State Polytechnic College, Kellogg Campus. University status was granted in 1972.
Today, the university is part of the 23-campus California State University system. Cal Poly Pomona has about 24,000 students and 2,600 faculty and staff.