Skip To Main Content

Retroactive Withdrawal

Retroactive Withdrawal is a Cal Poly Pomona process that allows students to petition to withdraw from all classes in one or more quarters after those quarters have ended. Students must apply for retroactive withdrawal within one calendar year from the last day of the quarter they unofficially withdrew from their classes and provide a clear explanation of why they did not withdraw from the university by filing appropriate forms with the Registrar’s Office during the quarter(s) in question.

Suggestions for Preparing your Request (PDF)

General Information on the Process (PDF)

Retroactive Withdrawal Petition (PDF) 

2017-2018 Petition Deadlines (PDF)

Retroactive Withdrawal Policy

The administrative grade of “WU” will be given for a course if a student discontinues attendance and participation without officially dropping the course or withdrawing from the university. It is the sole responsibility of the student to formally drop courses by filing the appropriate forms with the Registrar’s Office in a timely manner. Retroactive Withdrawal will not be approved for students who did not withdraw from a course or courses because they did not report for the first meeting of a class and were not dropped.

When a student has received “WU” in all of the courses in which they enrolled during an academic quarter, the student may petition for retroactive withdrawal. The grades may be retroactively changed to the administrative grade of “W” if the student can demonstrate and document that serious and compelling reasons required their unofficial withdrawal from the university during the quarter in question and that the grades received were not earned (e.g. letter grades A-F).

Students who wish to apply for retroactive withdrawal must do so within one calendar year of the last day of the quarter in which they unofficially withdrew from the University. A student does not have to be enrolled in the university at the time the application for Retroactive Withdrawal is submitted.

If you have additional questions, please contact the
Office of Student Success
(909) 869-5478