Guidelines-Master's Projects and Theses
The following procedures are offered as general guidelines only.
Students are solely responsible for ensuring that their work adheres to the content and formatting rules as required by their committee. Students are warned to avoid plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty.
Please contact the Graduate Studies office for general questions regarding the process of completing your master's project or thesis.
The Writing Center is a good resource for help with the writing process.
The research involved in your project or thesis may be subject to regulatory review before you begin to conduct it. If you will be collecting data directly from people (not using archived data), then you must familiarize yourself with the human subjects protections process and the Institutional Review Board (IRB). If you are investigating with vertebrate animals, seek assistance from the Animal Care and Use Committee (ACUC). If you are working with potential biological hazards, contact the Environmental Health and Safety Office (EH&S).
General steps towards completing your project or thesis
Students are encouraged to consult with their advisors and department graduate coordinators for current procedures, regulations, and deadlines.
- Know your deadlines
- Choose a topic, do your research, and write draft of your paper
- Attend a Project & Thesis Formatting and Electronic Submission Workshop (optional). Students can register here: http://tinyurl.com/mqzmqcs.
- Submit draft to committee for review; and schedule a preliminary library format review appointment
- Library formatting review
- Checklist (things to do before final library format review and submitting to Graduate Studies)
- Complete final version of your paper
- Obtain signatures from committee chair and readers
- Schedule Final Library format review appointment
- Schedule appointment for Graduate Studies submission
- Pay cashiers
- Graduate Studies submission
- Submit your approved project or thesis to Bronco Scholar by the deadline for the quarter you are submitting.