Admission Requirements & Deadlines
Admission Requirements for International Freshman
Freshman applicants must meet the minimum California State University eligibility requirements listed below as the first step in being considered for admission. If you meet the minimum CSU requirements, then Cal Poly Pomona will consider your application using supplemental criteria that are dependent upon the academic major you have chosen.
As an international applicant, you must:
- Meet CSU eligibility requirements (listed below).
- Meet all testing requirements.
- Obtain a F-1 student visa (required after admitted not an admissions requirement).
- Agree to purchase university health insurance (PDF) for each year at Cal Poly Pomona.
- Submit proof of measles and rubella immunization (PDF).
- Provide certification of financial eligibility or complete the affidavit of financial support (PDF).
- Provide a copy of your passport (name and photo ID).
Minimum CSU eligibility requirements
As a freshman applicant, you must:
- Graduate from high school by the end of the spring term before fall enrollment.
- Have completed each of the following courses in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subject requirements with a grade of C or higher before high school graduation.
- English, four years (if deficient, appropriate TOEFL score can satisfy this requirement)
- Mathematics, three years: algebra, geometry and intermediate algebra (you are encouraged to continue taking mathematics through the high school senior year)
- Social science/history, two years
- Science, two years with a laboratory (one biological and one physical)
- Foreign language, two years of the same language (subject to waiver for applicants demonstrating equivalent competence)
- Visual and performing arts, one year: art, dance, theatre/drama or music
- Elective, one year selected from any of the above subject area
- Complete and submit your ACT or SAT scores as early as possible but no later than January 31 (International Freshmen applicants from US high schools). International freshmen applicants from schools outside of the United States are exempt from the SAT/ACT test requirements, with the exception of those applying into Impacted Majors. If you are currently living outside the United States, test availability may vary. Please plan in advance so that you can meet all Cal Poly Pomona deadlines. For more information on international testing dates, go to International SAT or International ACT.
- Have a minimum “Eligibility Index” to be considered. The “Eligibility Index” is based on a formula that combines your achievement in high school college preparatory courses with your SAT I or ACT test scores. The CSU Eligibility Index (EI) is calculated as follows:
a. (Your GPA*) x 800 + the sum of your SAT Mathematics and Critical Reading Score
b. (Your GPA*) x 200 + (10 x SAT)
*10th - 11th grade "A-G" coursework
- Take the English Placement Test (EPT) and Entry Level Math (ELM) exam as early as possible but no later than May unless exempt. See Testing Requirements for additional information.
- Demonstrate appropriate proficiency in English. If you have not completed at least three years of full-time enrollment at a secondary school where the principal language of instruction is English, you must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Accept international not institutional. Required scores are:
Exam Minimum Score Paper-based TOEFL 525 Internet-based TOEFL 71 Computer-based TOEFL 195 IELTS 6.0
If you attended a foreign high school and the primary language of instruction is English, you may be waived from the TOEFL/IELTS. You must send proof from a school official to the Office of Admissions and Outreach.
Supplemental eligibility requirements
California State University designates majors as impacted when more applications are received in the initial filing period from CSU eligible applicants than can be accommodated by the campus.
Cal Poly Pomona's impacted majors are Aerospace Engineering, Animal Health Science, Animal Science, Architecture, Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Communication, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Biology, Kinesiology (Exercise Science Option), Mechanical Engineering, Music (Industry Studies Option), Psychology, Sociology and Undeclared (not available for International Students).
In addition, be aware that criteria for impacted majors are higher than CSU system-wide minimum eligibility requirements. Admission criteria usually includes a rank ordering by Eligibility Index. For more information on major impaction, go to Impacted Majors.
All applicants who apply to an impacted major at Cal Poly Pomona are encouraged to identify an alternate major on their admission application.
Local and non-local first-time freshman applicants
In an effort to maintain educational quality for both current and prospective students, supplemental criteria using a higher eligibility index will be applied to first-time freshman applicants from non-local (Tier 2) schools. For more information on the specific tiers, go to Local Area Schools.
College Board Advance Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) examination credit
Cal Poly Pomona grants credit toward its undergraduate degrees for successful completion of specific AP, IB and CLEP exams. Students who present scores of three or better will be granted up to 6 semester units (9 quarter units) of college credit*. Students must present official test score documentation to the Registrar's Office to receive credit.
Click here to review the highlighted sections for detailed information regarding required minimum scores and the corresponding course credit that may be granted by Cal Poly Pomona.
*Scores must be 4 or better for biology, computer science, economics and physics.
Admission deadlines for international freshman applicants
Please plan in advance so that you can meet all admission requirements and deadlines.
- Admission application for the fall quarter must be submitted online through CSUMentor during the initial filing period (October 1 to November 30) of the prior year.
*Note: The Undergraduate International application remains open for non-impacted majors. Apply Now!
- SAT or ACT scores (if required) must be received at Cal Poly Pomona no later than January 31.
- All first-time freshmen enrolling at Cal Poly Pomona must have documentation of exemption or take the English Placement Test (EPT) and/or the Entry Level Math (ELM) Test no later than May.
- An Enrollment Confirmation Deposit (ECD) must be submitted so that it is received in the Office of Admissions and Outreach no later than May 1.
- An official copy of your high school transcript and other required documents must be submitted no later than July 15.