Freshman Requirements and Deadlines
Admission requirements for first-time freshmen
Freshman applicants must meet the minimum California State University eligibility requirements listed below as the first step in being considered for admission. If you meet the minimum CSU requirements, Cal Poly Pomona will consider your application using supplemental criteria that may vary depending on the academic major you have chosen.
Minimum CSU eligibility requirements
You are considered a freshman applicant if you will have attained a high school diploma or GED and have NOT attended a college or university since high school graduation. As a freshman applicant, you must:
- Graduate from high school by the end of the spring term before fall enrollment
- Complete each of the following courses in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subject requirements with a grade of C or higher before high school graduation
- English, four years
- Mathematics, three years: algebra, geometry and intermediate algebra (you are encouraged to continue taking mathematics through the high school senior year)
- Social science, two years including U.S. history or U.S. history and government
- Science, two years with a laboratory (one biological and one physical)
- Foreign language, two years of the same language (subject to waiver for applicants demonstrating equivalent competence)
- Visual and performing arts, 1 year: art, dance, theatre/drama, or music
- Elective, one year selected from any of the above subject areas.
- Complete and submit your ACT or SAT scores as early as possible but no later than January 31.
- Have a minimum “Eligibility Index” to be considered. The “Eligibility Index” is based on a formula that combines your achievement in high school college preparatory courses with your SAT I or ACT test scores. The CSU Eligibility Index (EI) is calculated as follows:
a. (Your GPA*) x 800 + the sum of your SAT Mathematics and Critical Reading Score
b. (Your GPA*) x 200 + (10 x ACT)
*10th - 11th grade "A-G" coursework
- Take the English Placement Test (EPT) and Entry Level Math (ELM) Exam as early as possible but no later than May 2 unless exempt. See Testing Requirements for additional information.
Supplemental eligibility requirements
California State University designates majors as impacted when more applications are received in the initial filing period from CSU eligible applicants than can be accommodated by the campus.
Cal Poly Pomona's impacted majors are Aerospace Engineering, Animal Health Science, Animal Science, Architecture, Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Communication, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Biology, Kinesiology (Exercise Science Option), Mechanical Engineering, Music (Industry Studies Option), Psychology, Sociology and Undeclared.
The supplemental admission criteria usually includes a rank ordering by Eligibility Index and other criteria designated by each academic major. For more information on major impaction, go to Impacted Majors.
All applicants who apply to an impacted major at Cal Poly Pomona are encouraged to identify a second-choice major on their admission application.
Local vs. non-local admission
For academic programs that are not listed above as impacted at the program level, applicants who graduate from local high schools are admitted based on CSU eligibility requirements and do not have to complete the supplemental criteria.
For applicants who graduate from a high school in another country, another state or outside of Cal Poly Pomona’s locally defined area, admissions are based on a rank ordering of Eligibility Index. Admissions are made until the maximum number of new students has been met. For information about the schools in Cal Poly Pomona’s locally defined area, go to Local Area Schools.
College Board Advance Placement (AP) examination credit
Cal Poly Pomona grants credit toward its undergraduate degrees for successful completion of examinations of the Advanced Placement Program of the College Board. Students who present scores of 3 or better will be granted up to 6 semester units (9 quarter units) of college credit. Scores must be 4 or better for biology, computer science, economics and physics.
For specific information on Advanced Placement credit, go to Advanced Placement.
Freshman admission deadlines
Plan in advance so you can meet all admission requirements and deadlines.
- Admission application for the fall quarter must be submitted online through CSUMentor during the initial filing period (October 1 to November 30 of the prior year).
- SAT or ACT scores must be received at Cal Poly Pomona no later than January 31.
- All first-time freshmen enrolling at Cal Poly Pomona must have documentation of exemption or take the English Placement Test (EPT) and/or the Entry Level Math (ELM) Test no later than May 2.
- An Enrollment Confirmation Deposit (ECD) must be submitted so that it is received in the Office of Admissions and Outreach no later than May 1.
- An official copy of your high school transcript and other required documents must be submitted no later than July 15.