Testing Requirements & Deadlines for All Undergraduate Applicants
SAT or ACT Exams (FRESHMEN ONLY)
SAT or ACT scores must be received at Cal Poly Pomona no later than January 31.
Placement Examinations (English Placement Test (EPT), Entry Level Math (ELM))
All undergraduate students, unless exempt, must take the EPT/ELM no later than May 2nd to be eligible to enroll at Cal Poly Pomona. To determine if you are exempt, go to the EPT FAQ Site and the ELM FAQ Site. We strongly recommend that you take the test(s) early, preferably in January or March, but no later than the May 2 deadline.
- California residents: The EPT and ELM exams may be taken at any CSU campus. Test dates for the Cal Poly Pomona campus are available at EPT/ELM Schedule. Dates for other campuses are available at Education Testing Services.
- Non-California residents: If you do not live in California, out-of-state testing is arranged for the 2nd week of each month for an additional fee of $50. Call (925) 808-2142 or e-mail email@example.com for additional information.
EPT / ELM Registration:
- To register, go to the Online Registration Form.
*For detailed testing information visit the Cal Poly Pomona's Test Center.
Math Diagnostic Placement Test (MDPT)
- All pre-baccalaureate mathematics courses have a test prerequisite and all general education mathematics/statistics courses have prerequisites that may be satisfied by a placement test or by course work. These prerequisites must be satisfied within certain time limits. The Mathematics Department offers the CSU/UC Mathematics Diagnostic Placement Test (MDPT) each quarter to assist students to meet these prerequisites. For more information, contact the Mathematics Department at 909.869.3142.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- All applicants, regardless of citizenship, who have not completed at least three years of full-time enrollment at a secondary and/or college/university-level where English is the principal language of instruction are required to submit a TOEFL score.
- All scores submitted must have been earned within two years of the application date. Further information on TOEFL testing may be obtained at no charge by writing to 'Test of English as a Foreign Language, Box 889, Princeton, New Jersey 08541 USA' or on the TOEFL website.
The minimum TOEFL scores for admission:
- 525 on the paper test; or
- 195 on the computer-based test
- 71 on the internet-based test
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
IELTS is accepted in lieu of TOEFL as a standardized test of English proficiency. Undergraduate applicants must score a minimum on the IELTS Overall Band Score of 6.0.