Student Clubs and Organizations - Fundraising
1). Non-Charitable Fundraising Methods (deposit into ASI account):
DONORS WILL NOT RECEIVE A CHARITABLE TAX RECEIPT
- Activities like a car wash or a bake sale where the donor will receive something in return for their donation and they will not receive a charitable tax receipt. All dollars for that type of non-charitable fundraising can be deposited into your club’s ASI account.
- Donors can give monetary contributions directly to your ASI account, but those donations are non-charitable and they would not receive a charitable tax receipt because ASI is not authorized to issue charitable tax receipts. We call these donations “program support.” It’s just like someone giving to a “go fund me” account – the receiver is unable to issue a charitable tax receipt to the donor.
Outreach for Non-Charitable Donations:
- When seeking external program support, it is recommended that a registered CPP student club or organization utilize the “Introduction Letter for Non-Charitable Support for Clubs” to provide to a potential individual or organization providing program support.
- After receiving external program support, it is recommended that a registered CPP student club or organization utilize the “Thank You Letter for Non-Charitable Support for Clubs” to provide to a potential individual or organization providing program support to acknowledge receipt of program support.
Non-Charitable Fundraising Procedures:
- Every registered CPP student club and organization is required to maintain an active agency account with the Associated Students, Inc. (ASI). Any financial program support received by a registered CPP club or organization must be deposited into the student club’s/organization’s ASI agency account. If any in-kind program support is received by a registered CPP student club or organization, it must be documented and reported to ASI Financial Services.
- Any additional questions regarding the acceptance of program support for registered CPP student clubs and organizations may be initially directed to the Office of Student Life & Cultural Centers. Thank you for adhering to the above guidelines regarding the program support for registered CPP student clubs and organizations.
- Program Support EIN Use: The University’s EIN 95-4255659 may be used for profit sharing/fundraising/program support activities, but NOT for charitable donations for tax purposes. The California State Polytechnic University, Pomona EIN Number may be used for the following activities only: (a) Profit sharing; or (b) Checks made out to the student club for deposit into their ASI club account.