It is especially important that you familiarize yourself with the range of university policies. While the catalog includes many of these, others policies, procedures and forms can be found at various academic offices and departments, and within some administrative units. This site has been designed to quickly direct you to the information you most need. If you find a policy missing or a link that needs editing, we welcome your support by completing the feedback link in the footer of this site.

Academic Regulations and Programs as Outlined in the Catalog

For an exhaustive list of most all academic regulations and programs, you should consult the Cal Poly Pomona Catalog. That being said, several departments and offices at Cal Poly Pomona also provide helpful information regarding regulations and procedures. We have attempted to capture as many as possible and organize them in this site as well.

FERPA (The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974)
FERPA website
Remediation (EO 665)
Mandatory Orientation
Disability Resource Center Registration

Although students are not required to register with the DRC just because they have a disability, students must register with DRC if they plan to use testing accommodations and other services in support of their disability while at Cal Poly Pomona.

Course Enrollment, Drop and Withdrawal
Enrollment Appointment Times

Generally speaking, two weeks prior to the Registration period students are assigned their registration appointments. These times are assigned based both upon class standing and total number of units completed. To view your appointment go to BroncoDirect.

Orientation, Priority and Early Registration
Incoming Students - Course Registration at Orientation

At the end of your orientation session, you will see your advisor and be permitted to enroll. Full attendance at orientation is required in order to register in classes.

Current Students - Priority Registration

Laws, organizational guidelines, or CSU or university provisions provide that a limited number of student groups be permitted priority registration. If a student is registered in one of these priority groups, the student will see a priority registration appointment time listed alongside their standard appointment time in BroncoDirect.

Current Students

Enrollment Calendar

Enrollment Holds and Error Messages
Math Diagnostic Placement Test

Enrollment in certain courses will require that you have already taken and earned a sufficient score on the Mathematics Diagnostic Placement Test (MDPT). Check out the MDPT website for more details on this placement test.

Fall Adjustment

Toward the end of summer, usually in August there is something called Fall Adjustment. This is an opportunity to add and drop courses before the standard Add/Drop period which generally starts in September. The Academic Calendar will list Fall Adjustment dates as summer approaches.

Fee Payment

All fees must be paid by the fee payment deadline. For questions regarding fee payment refer to Student Accounting & Cashiering Services.


The Add/Drop period is the student’s last opportunity to enroll in classes or drop without a mark of “W”(withdrawal). It is especially important that students enroll by the Add/Drop Deadline, and not assume professors or staff members are adding them. Students are encouraged to print and retain copy of their class enrollment.

Waitlisting and Permission Numbers
Waitlisting a Course

It is important that students check waitlisted courses throughout the Add/Drop period as drops late in the Add/Drop period occasionally result in adds late in the Add/Drop period. One should not assume he/she has been removed from waitlist status and enrolled unless the "Enrolled" status appears. Students are encouraged to print and retain copy of their class enrollment.

Use of permission Numbers

A permission number is occasionally given to students when:

• A course is already at enrollment capacity and the professor wants to grant the student the opportunity to enroll anyhow, or

• When it does not appear the student has satisfied a prerequisite yet the department offering the course feels the student is adequately prepared anyhow to enroll in the course.

Permission numbers are assigned by either the professor or department. Being given a permission number does not mean you are enrolled, but rather that you now have the ability to enroll up to the end of the Add/Drop period. If a course can exceed the posted capacity, it is generally the professor who will provide at his/her discretion a limited number of permission numbers.

If course capacity is not the issue, but rather it is a requisite block that is preventing enrollment, then the departments can generally assess your readiness for the desired course and, within their discretion, provide a permission number.

Registering in Excess Units

There is a maximum number of units students can enroll in each quarter. If the student wishes to exceed this limit a petition can be completed.

Late Withdrawal for Serious or Compelling Reasons Beyond the Students Control

Late Withdrawal Policy and Request

Students with a serious and compelling reason may request to withdraw from one or more classes from the beginning of the 2nd week until the end of the 8th week of instruction. Class withdrawals granted under this provision will be assigned a W grade and will contribute toward the 28-unit limit of recorded course withdrawals. Withdrawals under this provision require the approval of the student’s College Dean or his/her designee.

Upon submission of supporting documentation as evidence of reasons of withdrawal that are beyond the student’s control, class withdrawals may be granted from the beginning of the 2nd week through the end of finals week for the requested quarter that will not contribute to the 28-unit limit. Withdrawals under this provision require the recommendation of the student’s College Dean or his/her designee and the approval of the Associate Vice President for Academic Programs.

To request late withdrawal the student must complete the request and have all necessary signatures prior to submission to the Registrar’s Office (98-R2-20).

Retroactive Withdrawal
Auditing Classes

The university’s policy on auditing a class can be found in the Catalog. Click the General Information tab, then the Registration link. Type “Auditing” in the PDF search box.

Course Repeat

Whether you are simply repeating a class, or repeating a class for grade forgiveness, you should definitely consult EO 1037 website devoted to course repetition.

Grades, Grade Appeals, and Incompletes
Credit for Test Taken prior to Admission & Credit by Exam
Transfer Coursework & Concurrent Enrollment
Courses Taken by Undergraduates for Graduate or Undergraduate Credit

The university’s policy on courses taken by undergraduates for graduate or undergraduate credit can be found in the Catalog. Click the General Information tab, then the Academic Regulations & Programs link. At the PDF search box type “courses taken by undergraduates for graduate or undergraduate credit”.

Changing or Adding a Major or Minor
Adding a Minor

A list of approved minors can be found in the Catalog. Click the General Information tab, then the Academic Regulations & Programs link. At the PDF search box type “approved minor programs”.

Changing Curriculum Year

When an undergraduate elects to change his/her curriculum year, this form must be endorsed.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) – Financial Aid

To remain eligible for certain forms of financial aid, a student must maintain something called Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Learn more about SAP and SAP Appeals through Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Leave of Absence

The Higher Education Opportunity Act entitles members of the Armed Forces, National Guard, or Reserve to readmission to the University if their separation is caused by either voluntary or involuntary service on active duty for a period of more than 30 days.

The student-veteran called to active duty should notify a certifying official in the Registrar’s Office that he/she has been redeployed, except in cases where notice is precluded by military necessity or would compromise national security. After the completion of military service, one may defer notifying the campus of the intent to return for no more than three years. A student hospitalized or convalescing from an illness or injury during the performance of service is expected to notify the campus of the intent to return no later than two years after the end of recovery.

To resume studies, notify a certifying official in the Registrar’s Office. After you have done this, you should schedule a meeting with your advisor and establish an academic plan for your return, and courses needed to complete your degree.

While veterans are permitted to resume their studies after discharge, in most cases it is not advisable to return to school after the quarter has begun. In most all cases, a student-veteran will not be readmitted after census, typically, the 15th day of instruction.

A leave of absence, for reasons other than military, is also permitted after at least one quarter of enrollment. As with other leaves, though, you should discuss such a request with your certifying official in the Registrar’s Office.

Academic Standing - Probation and Disqualifiction
Administrative-Academic Probation

The Administrative-Academic Probation policy can be found in the Catalog. Click the General Information tab, then the Academic Regulations & Programs link. At the PDF search box type “Administrative-Academic Probation”.

Administrative-Academic Disqualification

The Administrative-Academic Disqualification policy can be found in the Catalog. Click the General Information tab, then the Academic Regulations & Programs link. At the PDF search box type “Administrative-Academic Disqualification”.

Academic Renewal Policy

Student Judicial Affairs
Graduation Writing Test (GWT)



Changing RD grades to NC grades

The Chancellor's Office notified all of its campuses last year that it was not appropriate to leave RP (Report in Progress) and RD (Report Delayed) grades on students' records, as these are intended to be temporary placeholders for letter grades. Read more...

CAPS Expands Its Services

student with counselor in session

Distress, anxiety, depression and other emotional issues don't follow a 9-to-5 business schedule. Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) recently launched a new service that allows students to speak with a counselor at any time, any day and receive crisis counseling support over the phone. The 24-hour hotline is available to all students, as well as faculty and staff who are concerned about a student. Read article