1962 Graduation at the Rose Garden

1962 Graduation in the Rose Garden

Classes moved from the overcrowded Voorhis Unit in San Dimas to the Kellogg campus in fall 1956, bringing 508 students and 110 staff. Graduation ceremonies on the Kellogg campus were first conducted in the Rose Garden in 1957, when 57 men graduated. Previously, students had been required to finish their classwork at San Luis Obispo and attend the graduation ceremony on that campus. Faculty members were not invited to attend graduations or permitted to walk in any academic procession until the mid-1960s because President Julian McPhee was opposed to the idea.

For more information on the Rose Garden, click here.