Voorhis Rock

Poly Vue Court members (left to right) Jackie Byer, Gerry Gartin, Diana Jones, Ardis Stewart, Charles B. Voorhis, and Poly Vue Queen Mary Ellen Seaman
Poly Vue Court members (left to right) Jackie Byer, Gerry Gartin, Diana Jones, Ardis Stewart, Charles B. Voorhis, and Poly Vue Queen Mary Ellen Seaman

This photograph was taken during the Eighth Annual Poly Vue celebration and campus open house on April 22, 1950. The bronze plaque in the boulder near the flag pole commemorates the donation of the 150-acre site of the Voorhis School for Boys that was given by the Charles B. Voorhis family to California State Polytechnic College, San Luis Obispo in 1938. The school was the original campus of the Voorhis Unit. The ladies of the Poly Vue Court were from Whittier College because Cal Poly Pomona was an all-male campus until 1961. The large granite boulder and plaque were transferred from their original site in 1996 for the Founder's Day celebration, and were placed in its current location at Voorhis Park next to the CLA Building.

Click here to learn more about the University’s conection to the Voorhis family.