Can a Special Consultant Appointment be issued in lieu of traditional assigned time? Can it be issued in the Summer?
Yes: a Special Consultant Appointment can be issued in lieu of traditional assigned time, but only during the Summer quarter.
If a proposal is not fully funded, is it at the discretion of the faculty member to determine what the funds should be spent on or does the SPICE Committee make that determination?
Yes: it is at the discretion of the faculty member to determine how to use the funds awarded for their project.
Can unused funds can be carryforwarded for projects in progress at fiscal year-end?
- Scenario 1 - Yes: if the faculty member would like to carry the project/funds into the next fiscal year, they must request approval from the SPICE Committee via email at email@example.com. This request must be completed by mid-May of the fiscal year that the funding is received.
- Scenario 2 - No: if the project is finished, any remaining funds are reverted back for redistribution.
- Scenario 3 - No: if the project has not been completed & a request to carryforward has not been submitted/approved, any remaining funds are reverted back for redistribution.
Is the College responsible for any deficits at fiscal year-end?
Yes: the College has to cover the negative balances.
Can a faculty member deviate from the approved proposal?
Yes: however, they must request approval from the SPICE Committee via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to deviate from the approved proposal.
Can proposal submissions be reassigned between faculty members (e.g. especially if the faculty member who originated the proposal is no longer with the university)?
- Scenario 1 - No: if the award is for Innovative Instruction; unless it was a team proposal to begin with – in which the remaining team members can continue.
- Scenario 2 - Yes, with limitations: if the award is for Classroom Modernization, it depends upon the proposal; the SPICE Committee must review the request/situation.
For more information regarding SPICE, please go to the SPICE page.