Assessment Resources and Reading List
he Student Affairs Divisional Assessment Committee (SADAC) has collected the following tools and list of links to websites that may assist you in developing and implementng a successfull assessment project.
- Academic Affairs Program Review Resources
- Assessment Tools for Program Review
- Samples of college and department assessment plans
- College and department learning outcome
Student Affairs Assessment Websites
- Student Affairs Assessment Websites
- Cal State Long Beach
- Cal State Stanislaus
- Christopher Newport University
- College of Southern Nevada
- Dartmouth College
- Indiana State University
- John Carroll University
- Michigan State University
- New York University
- Northern Arizona University
- Northern Illinois University
- NOVA Southeastern University
- Oklahoma State University
- Old Dominion University
- Oregon State University
- Penn State UP
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- Southern Polytechnic State
- Syracuse University
- Texas A&M University
- Texas Tech University
- The Ohio State University
- University of Alabama
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of California, San Diego
- University of Central Florida
- University of Georgia
- University of Hawaii at Manoa
- University of Michigan
- University of Minnesota
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- University of North Texas
- University of Utah
- University of Washington
- Online Groups
- Research and Assessment: Discuss research in student affairs and assessment particularly with the view of program evaluation and renewal.
- Assessment, Evaluation, and Research Knowledge Community
- The Student Affairs Assessment, Evaluation and Research (SAAER) Knowledge Community is dedicated to serving as a resource for all who engage in student affairs-related assessment, evaluation and research. The SAAER Community will help in charting the course of the discipline of student affairs assessment, evaluation and research as it grows and redefines itself throughout the course of the 21st century. We will do this by providing a mechanism for communication, collaboration, education and mutual support.
- SAAER Knowledge Community objectives:
- provide education for members on assessment, evaluation and research through a variety of cost efficient methods.
- strive to create and share new and innovative ways of assessing our work.
- provide support and networking opportunities to all members and specifically full time assessment professionals.
- assist campuses to move forward in the assessment of student affairs by providing short term assessmentconsulting at conferences.
- remain committed to researching and responding to data regarding our member needs and skills.
- be available and visible at national and regional conferences.o Assessment Newsletterso Online Resourceso SAAER Resource List (last revices 6/5/08)
- Angelo, T and Cross, K.P. (1993). Classroom Assessment Techniques. A handbook for college teachers, 2ndEdition. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
- Bresciani, M.J., Zelna, C.L. and Anderson, J.A. (2004). Assessing Student Learning and Development: Ahandbook for practitioners. NASPA.
- Driscoll, A. (2007). Outcomes-based Assessment for Learner-centered Education: A faculty introduction. Sterling, VA: Stylus.
Huba, M.E. and Freed, J.E. (2000). Learner-centered Assessment on College Campus: Shifting the focus fromteaching to learning. Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Keeling,R P., Wall, A.F., Underhile, R., Dungy, G. (2008). Assessment reconsidered. NASPA Publications.
Maki, P. (2004). Assessing forLearning: building a sustainable commitment across the institution. Sterling, Va.:Stylus Pub.
Palomba. C and Banta, T.E. (1999). Assessment Essentials: Planning, implementing, improving assessment inhigher education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Suskie, L. (2004). Assessing Student Learning: A common sense guide. Bolton, Massachusetts: AnkerPublishing Company, Inc.
- Upcraft M. L. and Schuh, J.H. (1996). Assessment in Student Affairs: A guide for practitioners. San Francisco:Jossey-Bass.
- Walvoord, B.E. (2004). Assessment clear and simple: A practical guide for institutions, departments and generaleducation. San Francisco, CA; Jossey Bass.
- Articles and Other Publications About Assessment:
- Assessment Update: Progress, Trends, and Practices in Higher Education. Inside HigherEd. Website:http://www.insidehighered.com/
- Linda Suskie, What is "Good" Assessment? A Synthesis of Principles of good Practice. From "What is "good"assessment? A new model for fulfilling accreditation expectations" presented at the First Annual InternationalAssessment and Retention Conference, Phoenix AZ, June 2006. (PDF Download: http://planning.iupui.edu/page/download/?key=129728430&path=/consult/conferences/national/06/handouts/monday/suskie.pdf)
- NASPA Assessment Conference