Medical insurance coverage for benefits eligible CSU employees is administered by the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS). CalPERS offers a choice between several different insurance plans, including HMO and PPO plan options. Coverage is available to active employees and their eligible dependents, with the majority of the premiums paid by the CSU.
Following are some resources and information to assist you in choosing and enrolling in a medical plan:
- To find medical plans available in your area go to the CalPERS Health Plan Search by Zip Code
- View monthly Health Plan Rates (premiums) 2018, 2019
- Review the Health Plan Benefit Summary (copays and limits) 2018
- Also available is a Health Plan Guide for your reference.
- Need help choosing a medical plan? Try the CalPERS Health Plan Chooser.
- Use Provider Phone/Website List to contact providers for more information.
- When you have made your choice, fill out the Enrollment Worksheet (log-in with CPP credentials) and Declaration of Health Coverage (PDF). If enrolling any dependents, you will need to provide each dependent's Social Security Number, a copy of marriage certificate if enrolling a spouse, a copy of Domestic Partnership certification if enrolling a Domestic Partner, and birth certificates for dependent children.
- Documentation may be uploaded to PolyDocs or submitted to the Benefits Office.
Effective Date of Coverage – If you enroll on or before the last day of the pay period in which you are appointed, the effective date of medical coverage will be the first day of the following month.
Enrollment Period – You have 60 calendar days from your appointment date to enroll in benefits.
Employees select a primary care physician who coordinates all care including referral to specialists.
- Dedicated to delivering quality care and great value
- Both plans offer 360° Health, a program that helps members become involved in their health and wellness
- For more information, call (855) 839-4524 or visit their website at https://www13.anthem.com/cp/web/calpers.
- Individual practice plan where the employee must use contracted doctors/hospitals designated on plan lists for all services. To find a doctor, go to Blue Shield CA. Click on “Find a provider,” then click on “Select your plan.” Select "CalPERS" from the drop down menu. Under "Select a sub plan" select "CalPERS Access+ HMO." Here you can find a doctor by specialty, name or location.
- Budget-friendly HMO plans with a tailored list of quality providers for selected California counties
- Ideal for employees who want one primary care physician to coordinate all their medical care
- For more information, call (888) 926-4921 or visit the website at https://www.healthnet.com/portal/member/content/iwc/mysites/calpers/home.action.
- A clinic/hospital-based plan where one specific clinic or hospital provides the services.
- Search for a doctor or facility
- Search for a doctor by going to http://www.anthem.com/ca/calpers. Select "Find a Doctor" and select your plan. In the "Select a Provider Type" drop down menu choose the provider type you are looking for. Now you can choose a specialty or indicate “No Preference” and “Next.” In the last section you can type in your address and/or zip code and search for providers.
- Same level of benefits as PERS Choice at a lower monthly premium cost.
- Available in 54 of the 58 California counties (not available in Alameda, Marin, Placer, or Solano counties, or out-of-state).
- List of providers is 50 percent of the PERS Choice physician network. Search for a doctor by going to http://www.anthem.com/ca/calpers/. Select "Find a Doctor" and select your plan. In the "Select a Provider Type" drop down menu choose the provider type you are looking for. Now you can choose a specialty or indicate "No Preference" and "Next." In the last section you can type in your address and/or zip code and search for providers.