Career Counseling & Drop-In Advising
Career counselors are available for pre-scheduled one-hour appointments to provide professional, individualized, career guidance and support throughout the career exploration process. Together you may decide to use career assessments, use resources in our career library, or explore information online. These activities will help you make good career decisions. The number of appointments scheduled will vary depending on your needs.
An appointment with a career counselor can help you:
- Interpret career assessments, such as the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Stong Interest Inventory, and StrengthsQuest, to help you make decisions about major selection and career planning
- Explore the best major for you based upon your interests and career goals
- Identify and explore career interests
- Create a job search strategy and effectively search for internships and jobs in your field
- Improve your interviewing skills for internships, employment opportunities and graduate school through mock interview in which on-the-spot feedback is provided
- Plan for graduate school and review your personal statements
Career counselors will:
- Provide a confidential, safe, and supportive environment where your values and individuality are respected
- Expect you to be an active participant by sharing information that will help them to better understand where you are in the process, and by following through on suggested action steps prior to subsequent meetings
- Share their breadth of knowledge about a variety of career fields and recommend career information resources for further research
- Recommend strategies for finding a job or internship, but will not search for job opportunities for you or provide lists of current openings
To Schedule a Career Counseling Appointment
Login to your BroncoConnection account. You will see "Schedule a Counseling Appointments" under "Quicklinks".
Drop-in advising provides an opportunity to get immediate feedback on your resumes and cover letters, learn about career center services, and more. Drop-in advising sessions are available in 15 minute increments on a first come, first served basis, Monday-Friday 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
Reasons to use drop-in advising
- Resume or cover letter reviews (Bring a hard copy with you.)
- Familiarize yourself with job search resources
- Recieve an introduction to BroncoConnection, Cal Poly Pomona's online job bank
- Request a career assessment
- Utilize major card sort or begin to determine a major that may be best for you