Skip To Content

College of Business Administration

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Requirements

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offers free income tax preparation/assistance to taxpayers whose gross income is $51,000 or less. The following requirements are subject to change for the 2013 tax return year, but can be a helpful guide in determining eligibility.

If one of the following is part of this year's income tax return, we will be unable to provide you with assistance:

  • More than five capital gain/loss transactions (i.e., sale of stock).
  • Rental income.
  • Income from a partnership or trust.
  • Depreciation related to business income.
  • We DO NOT do returns for taxpayers who will be using "Married Filing Separate" status.

Taxpayers meeting the program requirements must bring the following items when applicable:

  • Photo identification (i.e., valid driver's license).
  • Social Security number(s) and dates of birth for you, your spouse and dependents (if you do not have a Social Security card, please bring your ITIN, or we can obtain one for you if you have not applied for one).
  • Wage and earning statements - Form W-2, W-2G, etc.
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks, etc. - Form 1099.
  • Date acquired, cost, date sold and selling price for stock sales - brokerage account statements may be helpful.
  • For day care: Provider's name, number, address and telephone number, as well as the amount paid for day care.
  • For renters: Name, address and phone number of landlord.
  • For direct deposits: copy of a canceled check that shows bank account number and routing number.
  • A copy of last year's federal and state income tax returns, if available.
  • All current tax documents and forms including items relevant for determining income and expenses.

It is critical that each person use the correct Social Security number. If you plan to file a joint return electronically, it is important that both spouses be present to sign the required IRS and FTB forms.