1. Description of program and department mission
CIS program description
The CIS program has a long history of being a front-runner in computing education. At Cal Poly Pomona, we were the first CIS business program in the nation. Prior to that, computing programs were often offered by mathematics departments. Ours was the first formal program linking computing and business. We were also one of the first programs in the country to adopt an object-oriented programming methodology. We are distinguished in several areas such as accessibility, information assurance, information forensics and online learning.
CIS mission statement
The mission of the CIS Department is to provide quality education opportunities to a diverse and multicultural student body in computer information systems at the undergraduate and graduate levels, with particular emphasis on undergraduate preparation, and to provide support courses for other departments of the college to enhance their understanding of the increasingly critical role of information systems and information technology in organizations.
CIS vision statement
We provide our students with the education to become information technology leaders. Our cutting-edge, career-focused programs and learn-by-doing teaching will make our graduates recognized nationally for their outstanding information technology expertise, innovative problem-solving ability, and effective interpersonal and communication skills.
2. Department Assessment Committee members
Dr. Drew Hwang (chair)
Dr. Greg Carlton
Dr. Zhongming Ma
3. Learning goals for the program
- Develop professional written and oral communication skills.
- Comprehend broad technical knowledge in core CIS areas.
- Develop analytical abilities in problem solving.
- Be able to apply knowledge of information systems.
4. Curriculum map
Departmental learning goals
|CIS CORE||Communication Skills||Technical Knowledge||Analytical Abilities||Hands-on Practice|
- Curriculum Matrix (PDF)
5. Assessment instruments and rubrics
- Persuasive Writing (PDF)
- Problem Solving (PDF)
- Teamwork (PDF)
- Individual Characteristics of the IT Leader (PDF)
- MBA Leadership Rubric (PDF)
- MOSAIC Leader Habits (PDF)
- IT Competencies (PDF)
6. Assessment instruments and rubrics
- Develop Integration and Different Disciplines (PDF)
- Oral Communication Skills Rubrics (PDF)
- Written Communication Skills Rubrics (PDF)