Before you register in the internship class, please make sure:
- You have an internship offer
- The internship is related to your major, IB, MKT, or business in general
- If you are using your current job to fulfill internship class requirement, you can not get credit for the same job for more than one quarter unless you have new responsibilities and new learning goals for this position.
- The business/organization procures and maintains General Liability Insurance or Workers' Compensation coverage for the interns
- International internships: all international internships must be submitted to the International Center. The Center and the Office of Academic Programs will collaborate on approval.
- Out of State Internships: if the initial assessment indicates a necessary site visit to the out of state internship partner, then we would have to decline the internship. In this case, please submit your application early to leave ample time for evaluation.
- Home-Based/Virtual Internships:
- The University does not allow home-based internship
- Definitely do NOT allow students to work "on-site" at an individual's home.
- An individual's home is NOT considered to be a safe work environment.
- Virtual Internships are also not allowed. This type of internship would not allow students to engage in a workforce environment.
Documents required at the beginning of the quarter
Please visit https://app.calstates4.com/cpp for required forms after you are registered. Everything is filled out and submitted online now. Use your Bronco ID and psw to log in. Once logged in, you will find a stuent guide on the help page if you have questions.
Internship meetings for Spring 2018
It is mandatory that you attend one of the meetings below:
Wednesday, March 28, 2018
1:00 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.
Building 163, Room 2020
Thursday, March 29, 2018
12:00 p.m. - 12:50 p.m.
Building 163, Room 2020
The syllabus will be posted on Blackboard course website. It includes policies regarding IBM 441 and IBM 442, as well as information required to earn course credit for the Internship in Marketing. Please meet all assignment deadlines listed in this syllabus. Failure to do so will prevent you from earning credit for your internship.
Instructor informationProfessor: Dr. Jing Hu
Instructor information - Fall-Spring 2017-18Professor: Dr. Jing Hu
Course catalog description
Faculty-supervised on-the-job educational experience in the real-world marketing management environment. Allocation of unit credit is dependent upon the nature of the work done, the level of responsibility and the number of hours worked. Total credit limited to 6 units, with a maximum of 4 units per quarter for IBM 441. Prerequisite: permission of departmental internship coordinator.
If you are enrolling in an Internship for Marketing for the first time, you must enroll in IBM 441. You should only enroll in IBM 442 after you have completed all sections of IBM 441. For both IBM 441 and IBM 442, you should enroll in the section (i.e., Section 1, 2, 3 or 4) that corresponds to the number of hours worked each week, as follows:
Section Hours of work per week:
01 10 – 19
02 20 – 29
03 30 – 39
Assignments and grading (check blackboard for details)Mandatory meeting: Students must attend one of the mandatory internship meetings at the beginning of the quarter. Failure to do so will result in being dropped from the class.
Internship application and learning plan, release of liability, and internship agreement (due at the mandatory meeting): You must complete three forms online at https://app.calstates4.com/cpp after you are registered. This assignment will not be graded, but it must be completed and submitted by the deadline. Late submissions will not be accepted for any reason, and you will receive an F for the course.
Internship report: Students must complete a report on the internship experience, describing accomplishment of the learning plan, specifically addressing your objectives. This assignment must be five pages long, in the following format: double-spaced, single-sided, Times New Roman font type, 12-point font size, 1-inch margins all around. Do not place in a binder of any kind. Remember, this is a business paper that must be written in a concise style using headings, subheadings and bullet points. You will lose points if you do not use the correct format.
Supervisor evaluation: Supervisors must complete an evaluation form on the intern's performce.