Dr. Jae Min Jung
Dr. Jung is a Professor of Marketing at Cal Poly Pomona, where he is the founding director of the College of Business Administration Behavioral Business Research Lab. He is also the founding advisor of the Cal Poly Pomona Market Research Club. Dr. Jung supervised over 30 graduate student theses and business plans. Dr. Jung is passionate about incorporating practical hands-on activities into his teaching to help students understand the theory in a concrete context. Dr. Jung, with his students, consulted local businesses and organizations based on solid market research, benefiting both students and businesses tremendously. Dr. Jung’s students frequently present their works in various academic and professional conferences and case competitions, often winning prestigious awards and publishing in academic journals and conference proceedings. Dr. Jung’s students landed in some of the most prominent market research companies in the nation. He also serves as a board member for the SoCal Chapter of Marketing Research Association. Prior to joining academia, he worked at Hankook Tire Manufacturing, Inc.
Dr. Jung received his Ph.D. in marketing from the University of Cincinnati and MBA (concentration in Business Statistics) from the University of North Texas. He is the author of over 50 peer reviewed national and international publications including European Journal of Marketing, International Marketing Review, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, Journal of Marketing Communication, Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, Public Relations Review, and Psychology & Marketing. He has also received numerous grants and awards. Dr. Jung has been actively serving the marketing community for various professional organizations including Marketing Research Association, American Association for Public Opinion Research, American Marketing Association, and Association for Consumer Research.
- Jung, Jae Min, Kyeong Sam Min, and Drew Martin (Forthcoming), “The Role of Reversal Theory in Digital Advertising,” in Digital Advertising, Vol. 3, Rodgers, Shelly and Esther Thorson, eds. Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group.
- Myers, Jun and Jae Min Jung (2016), “The Interplay between Consumer Self-View, Cognitive Style, and Creative Visual Metaphors in Print Advertising,” Journal of Marketing Communications, online: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13527266.2016.1197296.
- Choi, Nak Hwan, Jae Min Jung, Tamir Oyunbileg, and Pianpian Yang (2016), “The Impact of Emotional Arousal Levels and Valence on Product Evaluations: From Regulatory Goal Perspective,” European Journal of Marketing, 50 (1/2), 78-99.
- Jung, Jae Min, Hang Chu Hui, Kyeong Sam Min, and Drew Martin (2014), “Does Telic/Paratelic User Mode Matter on the Effectiveness of Interactive Internet Advertising? A Reversal Theory Perspective,” Journal of Business Research, 67 (6), 1003-9.
- Polyorat, Kawpong, Jae Min Jung, and Yun-Yong Hwang (2013), “Effects of Self-Construals on Consumer Assertiveness/Aggressiveness: Evidence from Thai and U.S. Samples,” Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 44 (5), 738-747.
- Min, Kyeong Sam, Drew Martin, and Jae Min Jung (2013), “Designing Advertising Campaigns for Destinations with Mixed Images: Using Visitor Campaign Goal Messages to Motivate Visitors,” Journal of Business Research, 66 (6), 759–764.
- Jung, Jae Min, Kyeong Sam Min, and James J. Kellaris (2011), “The Games People Play: How the Entertainment Value of Online Ads Helps or Harms Persuasion,” Psychology & Marketing, 28 (7), 661–681.
- Laufer, Daniel and Jae Min Jung (2010), “Incorporating Regulatory Focus Theory in Product Recall Communications to Increase Compliance with a Product Recall,” Public Relations Review, 36 (2), 147-151. (Both authors contributed equally and their names are listed in random order.)
- Jung, Jae Min, Kawpong Polyorat, and James J. Kellaris (2009), “A Cultural Paradox in Authority-Based Advertising Appeals,” International Marketing Review, 26 (6), 601-632.
- Jung, Jae Min and James J. Kellaris (2006), “Responsiveness to Authority Appeals among Young French and American Consumers,” Journal of Business Research, 59 (6), 735-744.
- Choi, Nak Hwan, Andrea L. Dixon, and Jae Min Jung (2004), “Dysfunctional Behavior among Sales Representatives: The Impact of Supervisory Trust, Participation and Information Controls,” The Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 24 (3), 181-198. (Authors equally contributed and their names are listed in alphabetical order.)
- Jung, Jae Min and James J. Kellaris (2004), “Cross-national Differences in Proneness to Scarcity Effects: The Moderating Roles of Familiarity, Uncertainty Avoidance, and Need for Cognitive Closure,” Psychology & Marketing, 21 (9), 739-753.
Honors with Student Projects (Selected)
- Advisor to Hang Chu (“Michel”) Hui: (a) Selected to be a Cal Poly Pomona student delegate to 26th Annual, CSU Student Research Competition held at California State University, Long Beach, May 5 – May 6, 2012 (2nd place in Business, Economics, and Public Administration category); (b) Presentation at Global Marketing Conference, Seoul, Korea, July 2012 (Honorable Mention Award for the Best Conference Paper); (c) Presentation at Direct Marketing Research Summit Conference, Las Vegas, October, 2012; (d) Published in Journal of Business Research, 67 (6), 1003-9.
- Advisor to Yuliya Idemenko, selected to be a Cal Poly Pomona student delegate to 25th Annual, CSU Student Research Competition held at California State University, Fresno, May 6 – May 7, 2011.
- Advisor to Maha Ghosn: (a) Selected to be a Cal Poly Pomona student delegate to 24th Annual, CSU Student Research Competition held at San Jose State University, April 30 – May 1, 2010; (b) Selected into 2011/2012 California State University Chancellor’s Doctoral Incentive Program (CDIP); (c) Presentation at AMA Summer Educators’ Conference, San Francisco, CA, August 2011.
Professional Service and affiliations
- Ad hoc reviewer for the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2014-present.
- Ad hoc reviewer for the Journal of Interactive Marketing, 2013-present.
- Editorial Review Board member of the Journal of Business Research, 2009–Present.
- Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, 2009 – present.
- Ad hoc reviewer for Marketing Letters, 2012–present.
- Ad hoc reviewer for the Journal of International Marketing, 2008–present.
- Ad hoc reviewer for the International Marketing Review, 2009–present.
- Member of American Marketing Association.
- Member of Association for Consumer Research.
- Member of Association for Consumer Psychology.
- Member of Marketing Research Association (Executive Board member of Socal Chapter, 2015-2016).
- Member of American Association for Public Opinion Research