Graduation FAQ

When do I file a graduation check?

Beginning in winter 2010, graduation checks for students in the College of Business Administration will be done automatically. Students do not have to complete a Request for Graduation Check form.

When should I take the Graduation Writing Test?

Although you may not register for the test until you become a junior (90 quarter units completed), we recommend that you take the test after you reach junior status. You must register for the GWT by the quarter following your completion of 120 quarter units.

When do I file an application to graduate?

Students must submit a graduation application through BroncoDirect by the appropriate deadline. To view the Graduation Application Deadlines, click here.

The application is valid only for the quarter for which it is submitted. Students failing to submit their application by the appropriate deadline may be required to graduate in a future quarter.

How do I file an application to graduate?

For instructions on how to apply for graduation online, click here (PDF).

I am graduating in the summer and I wish to participate in Spring Commencement. Where do I go to get more information?

Please go to the Registrar's Office for more information.

Where can I get a Commencement Participation Request form?

Go to this webpage to get to the online Early Commencement Participation form.

How much is the graduation fee?

Beginning Summer Quarter 2016 - Spring 2017- Graduation Application Fee is $59.00. 

How do I graduate if I am an inactive student?

Option 1: Reapply to the university.

Option 2: Please go to the College of Business Administration Student Services Center, Building 164, Room 1060, to submit a Graduate Out of Residency petition.

How do I know my graduation status?

Congratulatory letters are emailed to the student's Cal Poly Pomona email account. These letters are sent eight to ten weeks after the end of the quarter. The letters will contain information on when diplomas will become available. In addition, a student has the ability to see his/her unofficial transcripts online in BroncoDirect, which will show the degree once it is posted.

Deferral letters are emailed to the student's Cal Poly Pomona email account. These letters contain details about the degree requirements that are missing. These letters also indicate a deadline for when these deficiencies must be cleared. If the deficiencies are not cleared, the student must submit a new Application for Graduation in a future quarter.

When is the College of Business Administration Commencement Ceremony? Where do I go to get more information?

Any student who receives a Cal Poly Pomona degree during the academic year (fall, winter, spring and the preceding summer quarter) is automatically eligible to participate in that year's Commencement Ceremony held in June.

Information regarding the June Commencement Ceremony may be obtained:

  • At
  • Through the Commencement Hotline at (909) 869-5369.
  • By sending an email to about the ceremony itself. Do not email an academic-related question about graduation. For academic-related questions about graduation, visit the College of Business Administration Student Services Center, 164-1060, and talk to an academic advisor.

How does the university grant honors at graduation to students?

A gold cord worn around the neck of the gown signifies baccalaureate graduation with academic honors. Cal Poly Pomona grants honors upon graduation to students who have demonstrated academic excellence throughout their undergraduate careers.

Honor cords, which are available for no additional fee, may be obtained at the Registrar's Office. Photo identification is required to obtain the cord, and they will not be issued to those who are “summer walks.” For questions about honor cords, please call (909) 869-4900.

What grade point average do I need for the university to grant me honors at graduation?

The honors designations with the grade point averages required are:

  • Summa Cum Laude: 3.80-4.00
  • Magna Cum Laude: 3.65-3.79
  • Cum Laude: 3.50-3.64

Students who complete their graduation requirements in the summer, fall or winter quarters will have their GPAs determined before the Commencement program is printed, and their designated honors will be identified in the program.

Students who complete their graduation requirements in the spring quarter will not have their final GPAs determined until after the Commencement program printing. In order to identify these students in the Commencement program, their GPAs as of the last winter quarter should be used as the determining GPA for graduation honors recognition.

If the GPA status (as to graduation honors) changes for spring quarter graduates as a result of grades earned during the spring quarter, this will be recorded on their transcripts and on their diplomas. This status change will not occur in the Commencement program. The number of status changes is expected to be minimal. Only students who have completed all of their graduation requirements before spring quarter or students who are registered and complete the balance of their graduation requirements in the spring quarter (as of the census day) will be eligible for honors at graduation. The label “Graduation Honors” is printed next to the student's name in the Commencement program and announced at the college convocations.

What is my diploma going to say?

Your diploma is going to say, “Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Concentration: ________________.”

Where do I get my official transcript?

Requests for official transcripts can be ordered online or in person. If you want more information, please click here.

Where do I get a duplicate diploma?

There is a $15 charge for each duplicate diploma order. Before submitting the Duplicate Diploma Request Form (PDF) to the Registrar's Office, please make your payment at Student Accounting & Cashiering Services. Or send the request form along with your check or money order payable to Cal Poly Pomona to:

Registrar's Office
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 West Temple Avenue
Pomona, CA 91768

The Registrar's Office orders diplomas weekly. Depending on when your request for duplicate diploma is received, it may take up to two weeks to process your request.

My question is not on the page; how do I get it answered?

Although we try to address as many questions as possible on our website, there may be a few we have missed. For questions that are not on the website, please contact Stella Fong-Chen and we will try to answer them directly or put the answers on the FAQ page as soon as possible.