Holds FAQ

How do I check for holds?

After logging into BroncoDirect, you can check your holds by clicking on Student Center. Your Holds will be on the right side of the page. All holds must be cleared prior to enrollment of any registration period.

Why is there a hold on my record?

A Negative Service Indicator or a hold on your record indicates an unmet obligation.

What do I do if I have a hold?

You should check for holds every quarter. For example, if you have a library, pharmacy or advising hold, you must go to the specific department to have your hold released.

What are the most common holds?

Common holds are:

  • Financial - The hold (e.g., accounting, housing, fees) will indicate who placed the financial hold. Contact the department that issued the hold or University Financial Services at (909) 869-4600.
  • Testing - If the student has not fulfilled certain required tests, such as the ELM, EPT or GWT, then a hold can be placed against his/her records. Contact the Test Center at (909) 896-3353.
  • “At Risk” GPA Status - Cal Poly Pomona adopted an academic policy restricting registration for all students who have a GPA of 2.20 or below. These students are considered “at risk” and are required to have an academic advising session with their faculty advisor in order to remove their hold.
  • Measles - The student must provide proof of vaccination or history of measles. If this is not possible, the student must receive a vaccination from Health Services, (909) 869-4000.

My question is not on the page; how do I get it answered?

Although we try to address as many questions as possible on our website, there may be a few we have missed. For questions that are not on the website, please contact Stella Fong-Chen and we will try to answer them directly or put the answers on the FAQ page as soon as possible.