College of Business Student Success Center FAQ
Meeting With My Academic Advisor
As a student, you play an essential role in the academic advising process. We encourage you to see your academic advisor with any questions or problems that may affect your academic progress. To make the most of your advising session, you should prepare for the session by taking the following steps:
Before seeing your advisor
Step 1: Go to the Cal Poly Pomona home page and familiarize yourself with what is available online. http://www.cpp.edu/
Step 2: Review the Cal Poly Pomona Catalog. Read the course descriptions and requirements for your degree plan. http://catalog.cpp.edu/
Step 3: Write down any questions and concerns that you have.
Step 4: Write down or memorize your BroncoNumber.
Step 5: Create an advising folder.
You are encouraged to keep the following in your advising folder:
- Degree curriculum sheet
- Educational plan/road map
- Current class schedule
- Transfer credit report
- Test scores
- Approved petitions
- Unofficial transcripts from previously attended schools
Step 6: Go to the CBA Student Success Center in Building 164, Room 1060. Click here to check on our office hours. Our office does not take appointments. We serve students on a first-come, first-served basis.
At your advising session
Step 7: Keep notes to remind you what was discussed at your session.
- Your advisor will help you understand the requirements for graduation, but you, not your advisor, are responsible for knowing all requirements for your degree.
- Your advisor will not have all the answers, but he/she will help you find the answers.
- Your advisor will not make decisions for you. You must make them for yourself.