Service Learning - Faculty
What is service-learning?
- Service-learning is a pedagogy that provides students with structured opportunities to learn, develop and reflect through active participation and thoughtfully organized community involvement.
- It enhances the academic experience of students by relating academic content and course objectives to issues in the community.
- Service-learning integrates assessment and student reflection on the interrelationships between course content and community-based learning activities.
- Conducted in the community, it meets the needs of the students, faculty and community partners and fosters civic competence and engagement.
How do faculty benefit from service-learning?
- Integrates teaching and research to generate scholarship on teaching (teacher-scholar).
- Creates an environment to engage and motivate students.
- Promotes demonstrated knowledge of academic material and applications.
- Fosters faculty awareness and community involvement.
Interested in creating or revising a service-learning course?
- For assistance with creating or revising a service-learning course, please contact Christina Gonzalez-Salgado, the service-learning coordinator at (909) 869-4574 or email@example.com.
- For official university procedures regarding service-learning course administration, please download the following document: Campus Official Procedures. (DOCX)
Looking for a community partner to collaborate with?
- For a listing of official community partners, visit https://app.calstates4.com/cpp/sites?title_op=contains&title=&field_prog_site_address_locality=&field_prog_site_program_target_id=3187&combine_1=&items_per_page=50
- For assistance with selecting a new community partner for your course, please contact Christina Gonzalez-Salgado, the service-learning coordinator at (909) 869-4574 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seeking to officially designate a class?
- To attain an official "S" designation for your service-learning course, complete a Service-Learning Designation Form by the following dates:
- Winter 2017 - September 22, 2017
- Spring 2018 - January 12, 2018
- Summer 2018 - March 16, 2018
- Service-Learning Designation Form - 2017 - 2018 Service-Learning Designation Form (PDF)