Advising Center Team
Welcome to the College of Education and Integrative Studies Advising Center page! Our Advising Center team is committed to providing comprehensive advisement to undergraduate students pursuing majors and minors within the College of Education and Integrative Studies.
The team is comprised of key faculty, staff, and students who are dedicated to student success. Click below to meet your team!
Academic Advising Description/Definition
Academic advising is an educational process that, by intention and design, facilitates students’ understanding of the meaning and purpose of higher education and fosters their intellectual and personal development toward academic success and lifelong learning. (NACADA, 2004)
Academic advising is a collaborative educational process whereby students and their advisors are partners in meeting the essential learning outcomes, ensuring student academic success, and outlining the steps for achievement of the students’ personal, academic, and career goals. This advisor/student partnership requires participation and involvement of both the advisor and the student as it is built over the student’s entire educational experience in the College. Both the student and the advisor have clear responsibilities for ensuring the advising partnership is successful.
Advisor Responsibilities – What You Can Expect
You can expect your advisor to:
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum, graduation requirements, and university and college policies and procedures
- Encourage and guide you to define and develop realistic goals
- Encourage and support you as you gain the skills to develop clear and attainable educational plans
- Provide you with information about and strategies for utilizing the available resources and services on campus
- Assist you in understanding the purposes and goals of higher education and its effects on your life and personal goals
- Be assessable for meeting with you via office hours for advising, telephone, or e-mail
- Assist you in gaining decision making skills and skills in assuming responsibility for your educational plans and achievements.
- Maintain confidentiality
- Assist you in working closely with your professors.
Student Responsibilities – What You Are Expected To Do
As a student, you have clear responsibilities in the advising partnership in order to be successful:
- Schedule regular appointments or make regular contacts with advisors during each academic year
- Come prepared to each appointment with your Advising Worksheet, an academic plan of what classes you intend to take each quarter, and specific questions or material for discussion
- Be an active learner by participating fully in the advising experience
- Ask questions or for clarification if you do not understand an issue or have a specific concern
- Keep a personal accurate record of your progress toward meeting your goals
- Organize official documents in a way that enables you to access them when needed
- Complete all assignments or recommendations from your advisor
- Gather all relevant decision-making information
- Clarify personal values and goals and provide advisor with accurate information regarding your interests and abilities
- Become knowledgeable about college programs, policies, and procedures
- Accept responsibility for decisions