Application Process and Admission Requirements
- University Application: To begin the application process, you must apply through the CSU system application website: Cal State Apply. You may go directly to the Cal State Apply website at https://www.calstate.edu/apply
- Program Application: All documents listed in #2 through #4 below should be submitted electronically as PDF files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Admission Requirements and Documentation
The following admission requirements apply to all Ed.D. applicants. Admission is granted on a competitive basis. Meeting the requirements qualifies an individual for, but does not guarantee, admission to the program.
- Prior Education with Transcript Verification: You must already have earned a baccalaureate degree and a master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in upper division (junior/ senior year) and graduate study.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE): The scores of the GRE must be within the last five years of the date you start the program, and all sections are required.
- Reference Letters: Provide three confidential letters of recommendation from professionals in the field attesting to both your leadership ability and scholarship potential using our departmental form. Submit the completed rating forms electronically to email@example.com.
- Supplementary Application: The supplementary application requires responses to the following writing prompts as well as the submission of a current vita or resume and the Applicant Information/Program Application Materials Checklist.
The writing prompts are:
- Your reasons for pursuing doctoral study and your commitment to educational reform.
- Key challenges facing the public schools of California that you would like to address as a result of your doctoral learning and experiences?
- Three significant accomplishments that demonstrate your educational leadership potential and skills. You may refer to achievements in public schools, postsecondary institutions, or your community.
- An overview of your past background and current ability to devote significant time and attention to succeed in a rigorous program of doctoral study in education. Describe how you plan to manage your professional and personal responsibilities to enable you to successfully participate in a doctoral program.
Your written document in response to these prompts should not exceed 10 pages (use 12 point font, double spaced).
Submit your responses to the writing prompts, your vita or resume as PDF files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Interview: Once your completed application packet has been received and the above elements have been assessed, top level candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview with the program admissions committee.