Preliminary Multiple Subject Credential
Course Requirements for Preliminary Multiple Subject Credential (42 Units)
- EDU 5010 - Foundations of Teaching & Learning (3 units)
- EDU 5020 - Foundation of Education in a Diverse Society (3 units)
- EDU 5302 - Educating Students with Disabilities in Diverse Settings (3 units)
- EDU 5100 - Introduction to Literacy Instruction (3 units)
- EDU 5105 - Language Arts, Second Language Acquisition, & Children's Literature (3 units)
- EDU 5110 - Theory & Practice in Mathematics Education (3 units)
- EDU 5115 - Theory & Practice in Science & Health Education (3 units)
- EDU 5120 - Theory & Practice in Teaching Elementary Teachers (TPA 1&2) (3 units)
- EDU 5150 - Novice Clinical Practice for Elementary Teachers (3 units)
- EDU 5160 - Multiple Subject Clinical Practice (9 units)
- EDU 5180 - Teaching Performance Assessment for Elementary Teachers (3 units)
- EDU 5125 - Theory & Practice in Teaching Elementary Movement, Visual, & Perf. Arts (3 units)
Additional Credential Requirements
Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA):
Students must have successfully completed the RICA Exam at the time of application for the Multiple Subject Teaching Credential. Apply online at http://www.rica.nesinc.com. Please note RICA exams expire after 5 years. If you have not applied for and received your credential within this time frame, you will need to retake the RICA. When you take the exam, please arrange for Pearson to send your scores electronically to Cal Poly Pomona. Please also provide a copy of the original scores you receive in the mail.
Adult, Child & Infant CPR:
Valid verification needs to be submitted to the Credential Analyst at the end of Clinical Practice, when you apply for the Preliminary Credential.
Teaching Performance Assessment (TPA):
Passing scores on all TPAs are required at various points throughout the program and to be recommended for the Preliminary Credential.
1.) When requesting substitution of equivalent courses from another instituion, students must complete a Course Equivalency Request form with a copy of official transcripts, a copy of the catalog course description from the year the course was taken and the syllabus. This form and supporting documents is to be submitted to the Credential Analyst.
2.) Please arrange for Pearson to send your scores electronically to Cal Poly Pomona. Please also be prepared to provide a copy of the original scores you receive.