Master of Arts Degree, Special Education Option
The mission of our program is to create educational professionals who integrate research with practice, demonstrate innovative pedagogy, and are leaders in the diverse schools of the 21st century.
Our program is a regional leader in preparing exemplary and passionate special education professionals. We develop special education professionals to use best practices to teach, support, and advocate for their students with disabilities and their families with excellence, integrity and high expectations.
Program at a Glance
Current credential students can seamlessly transfer from the credential program to the MA program.
- All courses are held in the evening
- Courses are offered as hybrids (50% face to face) or online
- Rolling admissions make entering the program at any time of year convenient
- Students may enroll as either full or part time students and complete their program in as little as 3 semesters
- Students may use up to two credential courses towards their required 30 semester units of MA coursework, shortening time to graduation and make their degree cost effective
- The size of our program means more personalized attention from faculty and greater chance to get to know other candidates
Further information may be obtained by contacting the program advisor:
Dr. Heather Wizikowski
Current Credential Students
Turn in the following to Dr. Navarro, Graduate Studies Coordinator, in 6-219 in person or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Petition to Change Degree Objective form
- Evidence of a teaching credential (education specialist, mutiple or single subject); OR you are currently completing your FIRST block of clinical practice (no exceptions)
- Unofficial transcript showing a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Verification of a passing score on the Graduate Writing Test (GWT) (if you have a bachelor's degree from CPP, you have already met this requirement)
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty or colleagues who are familiar with either your academic skills or your professional abilities in the classroom
If you are not currently enrolled at CPP:
- Complete the Cal State University graduate application at https://www2.calstate.edu/apply
Then turn in the following to Dr. Navarro, Graduate Studies Coordinator, in 6-219 in person or by email (email@example.com):
- Evidence of a teaching credential (education specialist, multiple or single subject)
- Verification of a passing score on the Graduate Writing Test (GWT)(if you have a bachelor’s degree from CPP, you have already met this requirement)
- International students must provide verification of a TOEFL score of at least 580
Once you have received your CPP acceptance letter, please schedule an advising appointment with Dr. Wizikowski, MA Advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org) to complete your MA contract.
- We currently offer a scholarship for a combined, first credential and MA through SEEDS.
- The MA degree in Special Education alone does not provide authorization for classroom instruction in the State of California. The education specialist credentials provide the required state authorization for teaching students with disabilities.
- CPP does not currently offer a Clear Credential/Induction program.