How to Become a Liberal Studies Major
Change of Major
We are happy to have all students become majors that have carefully considered whether Liberal Studies is the major for them. For this reason, we ask all potential change of major candidates to follow this process:
- Determine whether you can attend the required Liberal Studies Change of Major Info Session. This happens once a quarter, excluding summer, on Thursday of the Week 5. The next one is April 26, 2018 12-1pm in 6-211.
- RSVP to attend the session by emailing email@example.com.
- Attend the session to learn whether the major is compatible with your academic and career goals.
- If ‘no’, we wish you luck in finding a suitable major.
- If ‘yes’, complete the Change of major e-form. Then, email firstname.lastname@example.org to notify her that you intend to become a Liberal Studies major. She will verify you have attended an info session and that you are in good standing with at least 2.0 overall GPA. She will then forward your form to the Department Chair for approval.
- Check your DPR a week later to see if your official major has been changed. If not, contact email@example.com for assistance.
- Also, make an appointment to see a CEIS academic advisor to make a plan for graduation.
FAQ1: Can see an advisor to determine whether this will be the major for me?
Answer: Unfortunately, you cannot schedule an appointment to see an academic advisor until you are officially a LS major. We have over 700 students and need to make appointments available for them first. There are a few possibilities though:
- CEIS College Advisors sometimes have drop-in hours, those you can attend as long as it is not during a registration period.
- CEIS Peer Advisors have been trained and can help. See this CEIS Peer Advising page for their available hours and location. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAQ2: Can I fill out the change of major form before attending the info session?
Answer: Yes. Completing the form only indicates your intention. It will remain “on hold” until after the info session and you indicate your final decision. We will deny all change of major forms "on hold" two weeks after the info session date.
FAQ3: Can I take LS courses before I become an official major?
Answer: We don’t recommend it. In the event you attend the info session and decide not to become a major, you are strapped with a course that may not count toward your new major.
FAQ4: Can I become a LS major if my overall GPA is below a 2.0?
Answer: It depends. In this case, it is best to make an appointment with the department chair to discuss your situation. Contact email@example.com to make an appointment with Dr. Christina Chavez-Reyes.