Admission Requirements & Applying
Unconditional Admission into the Geology Master’s program is contingent upon the following:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Geology or a closely related discipline (i.e. Geotechnical Engineering, Hydrology, Geophysics, Earth Science, Environmental Science) from an accredited institution, with a minimum grade-point average of 3.0 in Earth science courses, and a 2.5 grade-point-average in related science and mathematics courses.
- Satisfactory performance on the Graduate Record Examination Aptitude test with an expected score in the 50th percentile or better on the verbal and quantitative components.
- Two letters of recommendation
- A one-page personal statement of interest, including research and career aspirations.
- A minimum of 36 quarter units of undergraduate Earth science coursework is required to receive unconditional acceptance into the Master’s program.
- Availability of faculty and resources in the student’s stated area of interest.
Conditional Admission is considered for a limited number of applicants not meeting the above requirements and following review of the student’s academic background by the departmental Graduate Program Committee. Such students must meet deficiency requirements stipulated in the statement of conditional admission within the time limited selected.
Applications are accepted on a quarterly basis, with admissions for Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters. Students apply through Cal State Apply.
Important Dates for Graduate Applicants
|Term of Application||Application Deadline||Supporting Document Deadline|
|Spring 2018||February 12, 2018||March 14, 2018|
|Fall 2018||June 1, 2018||July 1, 2018|