While our summer youth programs are centered on academics, the daily program includes a variety of social and recreational activities in the afternoon and evening hours. These activities are intended to provide students with fresh air, exercise and social stimulation. Activities are designed for a variety of participant interests with everything from arts and crafts to sports and college-related activities.
Some of the more popular afternoon and evening activities include:
- Flag Football
- Friendship bracelets
- Hands-on STEM/STEAM Projects
- Card games and board games
- Social Dance
- Walking tour of the Arabian Horse Center
- Visit to the Bronco Student Center and Game Room
All activities are organized and supervised by a dedicated team of Activities Coordinators.
Youth summer camp students participating in our residential programs eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Los Olivos Dining Commons. Los Olivos serves a wide range of healthy options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The dining hall provides vegetarian and vegan options at every meal, and special dietary needs (such as gluten-free meals) can be accommodated. Mid-morning, afternoon and evening snacks are served daily in the classrooms and at the residences. Special catered dinners are typically offered once or twice per week to provide an occasional change to the dining hall routine.
Students attending any of the Bronco Academy STEAM Camps, Custom Youth Programs or Migrant Education Programs are housed in residences that are used by Cal Poly Pomona undergraduates during the regular school year. The traditional college style dorms offer double or triple occupancy. The Residence Halls are conveniently located on-campus and are within easy walking distance to the academic buildings, library, computer labs, dining areas and the Bronco Student Center. All halls have a laundry room, study areas, recreation room/TV lounge. The Residence Halls feature a small community atmosphere, spacious lounges on the first two floors and a common garden patio. All halls are co-ed and non-smoking. Boys and girls are housed in separate wings of the Residence Halls and are supervised throughout the night by specially trained Residential Assistants. In addition, a 24/7 professional Residence Hall Coordinator is housed in each dorm building.
Bronco Academy STEAM Camps, Custom Youth Programs and Migrant Education Programs are taught primarily by Cal Poly Pomona faculty selected for expertise in their fields as well as their ability and experience and passion for teaching middle school and high school students. Daily classroom instruction is occasionally supplemented with guest lecturers and special projects.
Students participating in any of the summer residential youth programs hosted by the College of the Extended University receive:
- Housing in university Residential Halls with premium linens (1 set of sheets, 1 pillowcase, 1 blanket, 1 washcloth and 1 towel)
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) as well as mid-morning, afternoon and evening snacks.
- Instructional materials including notebook, paper, pens, pencils, handouts and other materials necessary for hands-on instruction in STEAM projects.
- Extended Learning Opportunity – Includes admission (if required), transportation to and from and lunch.
- All materials and supplies needed for arts and crafts activities, after class STEM/STEAM projects, and recreational and social activities.