The Department of History will be converting to semesters beginning in Fall 2018.
The information provided here applies to History majors only. For all other CPP current or future students, general information for students about semester conversion may be found at: http://www.cpp.edu/~semester/for-students/index.shtml
You may also contact your home department.
The two most important changes of which History majors should be aware are as follows:
World Civilization Series
- What is currently a three course series (HST 101-102-103) on quarters will become a two course series (HST 1101-1102) on semesters.
- If you have begun the series but have not yet completed it, be sure to do so no later than Spring 2018.
- Alternatively you may choose to wait until after conversion to begin the World Civ series, but do be aware this may delay graduation.
Example 1: Sarah has taken HST 102 but not HST 101 and HST 103. Solution: Sarah should take HST 101 and HST 103 during Fall 2017, Winter 2018, or Spring 2018 quarters so the series will be complete before conversion.
Example 2: Jose took the World Civ equivalent courses at Mt. Sac and transferred the units to CPP. His Degree Progress Report (DPR) on BroncoDirect shows that HST 101, HST 102, and HST 103 have all been satisfied.
Solution: Jose does not need to do anything. As long as the courses show as complete on his DPR he’s good to go.
Upper Division Core
- What is currently a four-course sequence on quarters (HST 300-390-461-462) will become a three-course sequence on semesters (HST 3300-4610-4620).
- If you have begun the sequence, be sure to complete both HST 300 AND HST 390 no later than Spring 2018.
- Alternatively you may choose to wait until after conversion to begin the sequence, but do be aware this may delay graduation.
- Note that after conversion, the two senior thesis courses (HST 4610 and HST 4620) will run Fall and Spring only. It will take one full year to complete senior thesis.
For more information about conversion, please contact your department advisor .