This slideshow contains 8 slides that will change every 8 seconds. The first button is to play and pause the slideshow, followed by buttons to go to the previous slide, next slide, or choose individual slides.
College of Letters Arts and Social Science
Admission Requirements & Process
In order to be considered for admission to the MPA program at Cal Poly Pomona, students should meet the following criteria:
- Graduated with a bachelor’s degree in any subject with a Grade Point Average of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
- it is strongly recommended that students have had coursework at the undergraduate level in American Government and Statistics;
- Provide Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- while there is no minimum score that is required for admission, the scores assist us in making an overall evaluation of your ability to succeed in our program
-WAIVER – students who have a GPA of 3.4 or higher are NOT required to submit GRE scores. If the student has GRE scores and wishes to submit them anyway, they are encouraged to do so
- Submit two letters of recommendations, preferably at least one person attesting to your academic abilities and one person familiar with your work responsibilities and accomplishments. However, if you choose to submit two academic or two work-related letters, that is acceptable.
- Submit a “Statement of Purpose” that describes how you came to be interested in pursuing a Master of Public Administration degree and what you hope to do with the degree in the future. This helps us evaluate whether or not we are the program best suited for your interests and needs. (It can be the same one you used in Cal State Apply (see below).).
- Submit a resume or c.v. describing your work history. This helps us determine whether or not you will need to complete an internship as part of your individualized program of study.
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: A TOEFL score of at least 580 (or a comparable score on the web-based version of the test) may be required if your undergraduate degree is from a non-English language-based university. An IELTS score of 6.5 may be substituted for a passing TOEFL score. Please see additional information at http://www.cpp.edu/~admissions/international/graduate/
Step 1: AT CAL STATE APPLY
Students who wish to apply for admission to the Cal Poly Pomona must do so through the California State University system’s online application tool, Cal State Apply at https://www2.calstate.edu/Apply At that site you will be asked to submit basic demographic and contact information. You will also be asked to submit a statement of purpose so you might want to write it out before beginning the Cal State Apply process and then just cut and paste it into the application.
STEP 2: AT CAL POLY POMONA – GRADUATE ADMISSIONS OFFICE
Your completed Cal State Apply application form will then be sent electronically to the Cal Poly Pomona Graduate Admissions Office. They may contact you about arranging to submit additional materials such as an official transcript. They will contact you through your Bronco Direct account. If they ask you to mail them original transcripts, you should arrange to have the transcripts sent directly to:
Cal Poly Pomona
Office of Admissions and Enrollment Planning
3801 West Temple Avenue
Pomona, CA 91768
STEP 3: AT CAL POLY POMONA – MASTER OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION PROGRAM
Finally, you should submit materials to the MPA program itself, including:
- An unofficial copy of your transcript (this allows us to begin a review of your application while waiting for the official copy which we must receive before you are officially admitted)
- A copy of your Statement of Purpose
- GRE Scores, if required
- Two letters of recommendation from prior academic instructors or from persons directly knowledgeable of your professional work experience.
- A copy of your resume or c.v.
These should all be mailed to: