The mission of the Cal Poly Pomona Music Society is to generate genuine dialogue between students, alumni, faculty, and community organizations by creating a collaborative support system for career endeavors and to foster fellowship, education, and community.
We are extremely proud of our alumni and want to provide a forum for them to come back and share their talents with our current students. We plan to celebrate our alumni and provide our current students with the opportunity to meet students who have walked our halls before them, to see where their degree can take them.
Planned activities include: alumni concerts and mixers; guest lectures and master classes; “Professor for a Day” classes; composition commissions; and guest performances with student ensembles.
Peter Yates, Department Chair
Teresa Kelly, Public Affairs
Jennifer Schwandt - firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott Robinson - Scotty.email@example.com
Lawrence Vondrake Fitz - Lawrence@FitzConsulting.org
Will Wright-Hooks - firstname.lastname@example.org
May 1, 2018 - "Celebrate Me Home 2018" Music Department Year-End Banquet 6:30pm
Ways to Get Involved
Music Society alumni mentors are Cal Poly Pomona music department alumni who are available to assist current students with their educational experience and future endeavors. Mentors make a difference in the life of a student by sharing knowledge and expertise. Connecting with a mentor enhances student success, encourages dreams and career aspirations, increases competence and self-esteem, and helps improve academic achievement.
What ways can I get involved in the Alumni Mentors program?
There are several ways to become involved:
• Professor for a Day opportunities exist for former students to share with current students about professional life. Alumni are invited to serve as guest lecturers in a classroom setting, providing a different perspective to students.
• Student Mentoring provides alumni with the chance to help a current student on a one-to-one basis, providing guidance and advice on issues such as: setting future goals and becoming a professional; job Seeking and building a resume; and networking and career advancement.
• Guest Master Classes are an interactive way to provide “hands-on” instruction and critique of students’ musical performance from a working professional. Guest Alumni and students are invited to participate in a master class by a member of the Cal Poly Pomona Music Department faculty.
How do I become an Alumni Mentor?
• If interested in becoming a Music Society alumni mentor, or finding a Music Society Mentor to connect with, please contact Peter Yates, Chair, Music Department at email@example.com or (909) 869-3560.
Alumni Master of Ceremonies
A fun and exciting way to get involved in the Music Society Alumni program is to act as “Master of Ceremonies” for a music department concert or event. Open the show with an introduction about your time as a student; speak about the works being performed; and share in the moment.
How do I become a “Master of Ceremonies” for an event?
• If interested in acting as “Master of Cermonies” please contact Teresa Kelly, Publicist, Music Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (909) 869-3554.
Share your news with us to include in our newsletter. Keep us up-to-date on: new jobs or promotions; awards and recognitions; marriages and new family members; hobbies and things you enjoy doing; retirement and other milestones. Remember to include your name at graduation (if different than current), graduation year, and major.
Send news updates to: Teresa Kelly at email@example.com