College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences

California Component Exam Information

American Institutions Requirement: California Component

Do I need to take the California Component Exam? 

Does any of the following circumstances apply to you? 

  • Taken a course in American Government at a college or university outside the state of California
  • Taken a course in American Government at a college or university not part of the California State University (CSU) or California community college systems
  • Taken the AP United States Government and Politics Exam with a score of 3 or higher

If any of these circumstances apply to you, you may still need to take the California Component Exam! 

Why do I have to take an additional exam if I completed the American Government credit? 

In August 2011, the Chancellor of the California State University system passed Executive Order 1061 (EO 1061). EO 1061 mandates that students have to have course credit that examines the California state political system and Constitution. Although you may have taken an American Government course elsewhere, many of these courses or exams do not adequately cover California. Thus for students who meet any of the above circumstances, in order to graduate, you must take the California Component Exam.  

When and how do I take the California Component Exam? 

The Department of Political Science administers the university's California Component Exam. You can take this test online and at any time.

You get only one chance at the test. If you fail, you can satisfy the requirement by taking PLS 201 or PLS 481.

Do not wait until your last quarter at Cal Poly Pomona to take this test. You are encouraged to take this test as soon as possible after arriving at Cal Poly Pomona so that in the event you do not pass it, you will have plenty of opportunities to meet the requirement through coursework. Do not jeopardize your graduation date by taking the exam in your last quarter. 

If you decide to take the test offered by the Department of Political Science, do the following:

  1. Go the University Library Reserve desk and ask for California Government, 5th edition, by John L. Korey. Be sure that you have the 5th edition. The call number is rbrKOR1.
  2. Study it thoroughly! There are some practice questions available at (click on "Navigate by Chapter"). These are not the questions that will be on the test, but they should give you some idea of how well you know the material.
  3. You must make an appointment with the Test Center for a specific time and date. Go to and, when prompted, indicate the following: Computer Test? Yes; Professor Info? Nelson; Course Name: CGE000. Schedule the test for 90 minutes. (Note: Conversely, you can register by using the following link:
  4. Email Dr. Neil Chaturvedi ( and let them know the date and time for which you have scheduled the test. During the regular academic year, contact her at least one week before the test. During the Summer Quarter, contact her at least two weeks in advance. You should provide her with your Cal Poly e-mail address and your Bronco ID number. The test is given on Blackboard; once Dr. Chaturvedi has enrolled you in the test site it will appear in the My Blackboard section of your account under Organizations' (not Classes). Verify that this has happened before the day of the test.
  5. Bring a picture ID with you to the Test Center (located in the CLA building: 98-P2-004). The test will consist of 50 multiple choice questions. You will have 90 minutes for the test. The passing grade is 60%.
  6. Email Dr. Neil Chaturvedi ( and let him know that you have taken the test so that she will know to check to see if you have passed. If you have passed, she will notify the Registrar's Office. Once this has been posted to your records, you will be notified by email. Allow a couple of weeks for this chain of events to take place.

If you have any questions, email Dr. Neil Chaturvedi at

Dr. Neil Chaturvedi

California Component Exam Advisor

Dr. Neil Chaturvedi
Office: 94-318
Phone: 909-869-3884