Cal Poly Pomona

Information for Current Students

American Institute for Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
AIChE is the worlds leading organization for chemical engineering professionals, with more than 40,000 members from 93 countries. Access the AIChE Cal Poly Pomona Calendar for information on upcoming activities.

lmportant Information
The information below is to assist students in the Chemical & Materials Engineering Department in becoming more proactive in your academic career planning and to answer some of the most frequently asked questions students have.  Please take the time to read this and familiarize yourself with the information, which should save you time in searching for answers.  Suggestions on topics to add here are welcome, just let Sandy know either by stopping by the Department Office (17-2124) or by e-mail to .

E-mail: The University has informed all students that your Cal Poly Pomona e-mail address is where all information related to University policies, procedure, news, deadlines etc., is sent  In addition, Sandy sends out regular e-mails regarding Department and student club information as well as job opportunities with companies that are looking for chemical engineering students, including part-time and internship positions.  Please get into the habit of checking your Cal Poly Pomona e-mail account on a regular basis, at least two or three times a week.  Although you can forward your Cal Poly e-mail to a personal e-mail account, this is not  recommended as if for some reason it does not forward, saying you did not receive the information is not considered an excuse. 

Advising: In the Fall Quarter prior to students registering for Winter Quarter the department will place an advising hold on all Freshmen and Sophomore students to see their advisor for academic advising.  Prior to registering for Spring Quarter holds are placed on Junior and Senior students in the Winter Quarter for the same purpose.  In order to have your hold removed you must see your advisor.  Prior to seeing your advisor, you should have your Advising Form filled out.  These may be found in the Department Office. If you have questions on which GE classes to take, refer to your curriculum sheet or the University Catalog for your curriculum year where courses are listed under General Education.  Once you meet with your advisor, bring your signed Advising Form to Sandy (17-2124) to have your hold removed.  Holds will only be removed once at the end of the day.  There are no exceptions.  Make sure that you see your advisor in plenty of time prior to your registration time.

Once your advising hold from the Department is removed, it is a good idea for you to periodically check your hold screen in Bronco Direct as holds are placed by other offices on campus (Financial Aid, Registrar, Student Health Center, Financial Services etc.) for various reasons and at different times throughout the quarter. You will also need to clear those up in order to either register for classes or to pay fees.

During the first week of Fall Quarter a list of students and their advisors are posted in the display case outside the Department Office.  Advisor’s office hours are posted outside each advisor’s office and outside the Department Office along with their room number, phone number and e-mail address.  If your advisor’s office hours conflict with your class schedule, please either call or e-mail them to set up an appointment at another time.

Forms: Many forms you need (General Academic Petition, Grad Check, Petition to Drop, Transcript Requests etc.,) are available for you online to print out.  Visit to familiarize yourself with the forms available,

Grad check info

Reimbursement for Expenses: Occasionally the department will assist students with the cost of supplies and/or materials needed for a project they are working on, or help with travel funds to present a paper or attend a conference.  If your faculty project advisor indicates that the department will pay some or all of the cost, please see Sandy before purchasing anything.  The Department can order these items for you, or in some cases the student can purchase the materials themselves and be reimbursed.

If you are being reimbursed for an item authorized by the department for you to purchase the following is necessary.

  1.  You must have a receipt for all purchases.  For cash purchases the store receipt is adequate.  For credit/debit card purchases you need the store receipt and your credit/debit card statement showing the transaction has been posted to your account.
  2. On credit/debit card statements you may cross out all personal information related to your credit/debit account except for your name and address, the portion of your card number shown on your statement, and the information on the purchase you are requesting reimbursement for  Bring everything to Sandy and she will show you where to access the appropriate form to fill out along with a detailed handout on how to fill it out.  Return the completed and signed form to her and she will obtain the proper signatures and submit the forms to the appropriate office.  Allow at least two weeks before you receive your check.  The check will be mailed to you.

If you are traveling with departmental approval, you must fill out an Authorization to Travel (1A) form prior to your trip.  This should be filled out as soon as you know the travel has been authorized.  See Sandy for this form.

College of Engineering Student Handbook