This slideshow contains 3 slides that will change every 8 seconds. The first button is to play and pause the slideshow, followed by buttons to go to the previous slide, next slide, or choose individual slides.
Students posing in the backyard of their accomodation at the Botanical Garden in CATIE
Costa Rica, Summer 2016
Students will spend three weeks at the Centro Agrónomico Tropical de Investigación y Enseñaza (CATIE), an international university that combines science, education, and innovation for sustainable tourism development. They will stay in a sustainability house in CATIE’s Botanical Gardens, which is home to over 4,000 plants and is located near the active Turriabla volcano. Sustainable tourism is the concept of visiting a place as a tourist and trying to make only a positive impact on the environment, society and economy.
Contact Dr. Neha Singh by phone at (909) 869-4565 or email@example.com for additional information.
- Day 1-4 - Overview, Turrialba Downtown Tour, Welcome Dinner & Lecture
- Day 5-7 - Field Experience: Manuel Antonio National Park
- Day 8-12 - Topics on Global Climate Change, Energy & Footprinting
- Day 13-14 - Free Weekend
- Day 15-19 - Consumption & Natural Resource Management Policy Analysis
- Day 20-22 - Visit Volcano Poas, Central Market & Farwell Dinner, Departure
- Field Trips
- Access to course materials
- Access to medical facilities
- Roundtrip transport for SJO airport
Enrollment and Costs:
The program cost is $3,200 (approximately).
Application Deadline: February 2, 2016
Note: Students must turn in $200 non-refundable deposit along with their application. Student should pick up a deposit slip at The Collins College and make his or her payment at the Cashier’s Office. The white & yellow copy of the deposit slip must be submitted to the International Center to be dated and signed as proof of payment.
Students may view the application process for short-term programs and download the following required forms to submit in with their application.
- Copy of signed passport
- One passport photo attached to their application
- Independent Return Travel Form
- Illegal Drug Use Policy Form
- Conduct of Behavior Form
- Trip Release Form
- Release of Liability Form
- Health Status Report Form – (follow instructions)
- Roundtrip airfaire
- One free-time weekend
- Additional snacks
- Exit tax of $30/person
All students take:
SSS 4000 Sustainable Tourism
(45 lecture hours + 45 field learning hours - 8 quarter credits)
**** Please note: Vouchers CANNOT be used for wine or alcohol