Gary A. Hamilton, JD
Professor and Assistant to the Provost
Gary A. Hamilton, JD
Professor and Special Assistant to the Provost
Phone: (909) 869-4426
Fax: (909) 869-4805
Prior to joining Cal Poly Pomona, Professor Hamilton served as corporate legal advisor and Assistant Director of Human Resources and Labor Relations for the Pratt Hotel Corporations' Sands Hotel, Casino and Country Club, headquartered in Atlantic City, New Jersey. His responsibilities included directing human resource specialists in implementing policies and procedures for 3,200 employees; property representative to the New Jersey Casino Association as well acting as lead legal counsel in grievances and arbitration’s.
In 1988, Mr. Hamilton joined the hospitality program as a professor and from 1989- 1992, assumed the administrative role of founding Associate Dean of the School of Hospitality Management.
In August 1992, he was asked to serve on the staff of the Vice President for Finance and Development at Cal Poly, followed by an appointment later that year, to the Office of the President as Coordinator of Strategic Planning.
Since his return to full time teaching status in 1995, he has designed a new course offering in Casino Management and Operations which was recognized by the University for its innovative expansion of the SHM curriculum in 1996.
In 1994, Professor Hamilton was asked by the University of Massachusetts, Amherst to teach in the areas of law and ethics at the International College of Hospitality Administration in Brig, Switzerland. From 1995 to 1996, he was named Coordinator of the SHM Zimbabwe Initiative and, in 1998, developed a distance learning course for the teaching faculty of Bulawayo Polytechnic in Zimbabwe.
In the summer of 1996, the College of Business recognized Professor Hamilton for his participation in the Swaziland initiative sponsored by USAID and in June of 1998 was part of a delegation of SHM faculty invited to make a presentation at the “International Tourism Seminar between China and the US” in Beijing, helping to lay the groundwork for a new cooperative agreement which was signed on October 28, 1999.
In addition to his School and University service, Gary A. Hamilton is a consultant and motivational speaker and has given numerous seminars, workshops and presentations worldwide. Among the organizations he has worked with include: the National Restaurant Association, Donald Trump's Taj Mahal Hotel and Casino, the Club Managers Association of America, Procter & Gamble, Hilton International, Lawry's Restaurants, and the Educational Institute of American Hotel and Motel Association.
- Cornell University , M.P.S. Hotel Administration
- University of Toledo School of Law, JD
- University of Bridgeport , BS (cum laude), Psychology and Urban Studies
Teaching, Research & Consulting Interests:
- Hotel, Resort & Club Management
- Strategic Management
Selected Publications & Recent Presentations:
- Hamilton, Gary A., Hotel Operations: An Overview, Hospitality Management: An Introduction to the Industry, Brymer, Editor, 6th edition, 1996 –97
- Wykoff, Lea and Hamilton, Gary, Approaching Diversity Issues in Undergraduate Populations, CHRIE Educator, 1997
- Contributor, Crisis Management and the Press : A Handbook for Operators, Oregon Restaurant Association, 1996-97
- Workshop presenter and session presenter. CMAA World Conference (1996-present).
Awards, Accomplishments & Service:
- 2004 Professor of the Year
- 2003 Professor of the Year
- 1999 Outstanding Faculty Contribution to Innovative Uses of Technology
- 1998 Professor of the Year
- 1998 Academic Advisor of the Year
- 1993 Professor of the Year
- 1992 Academic Advisor of the Year
- 1990 Meritorious Performance and Professional Promise Award