Phone: (909) 869-2568
Michael Godfrey began teaching at The Collins College of Hospitality Management (CCHM) on the campus of California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) in 1994. He was a member of the instruction team for The Restaurant at Kellogg Ranch for ten years. He teaches restaurant operations, food, beverage, and labor cost control, beer and culture, and strategic leadership.
Prior to joining CCHM, Michael held management and corporate restaurant operations positions in several Southern California companies. His industry experience began as a cook with Pinnacle Peak and a server with Cask‘n Cleaver. Following graduation from Cal Poly Pomona, he joined the management team of The C & C Organization, and held the General Manager position at the flagship Cask‘n Cleaver restaurant in Rancho Cucamonga, California, and at Charley's Grill & Pub, in Upland, California. He performed with The C & C Organization as wine inventory controller, Assistant Director of Human Resources, and as the Director of Training. In addition, he has worked as the Director of Food and Beverage at SeaCliff Country Club, as a Managing Partner with Buffalo Ranch Steakhouse, and as a Managing Partner & Management Trainer with Pacific Ocean Restaurants, Inc. (Crabby Bob's Seafood Grill).
Michael is a homebrewer and collects beer-related cookbooks. He conducts beer tasting, beer and food pairings, and beer appreciation lectures for CCHM and has organized microbrew tasting seminars for the Cal Poly Alumni Association and for private clients. Michael, Jennyfer, and their son Justin reside in Chino Hills, California.
- California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Bachelor of Science, Zoology
- University of La Verne University of La Verne, Master of Business Administration
- Completed doctoral coursework in Organizational Leadership, University of La Verne (ABD)
Teaching, Research, & Consulting Interests:
- Hospitality Team Development
- Guest Relations
- Management & Dining Room Staff Development
- Service & Sales Enhancement
- Restaurant Operations
- Beer & Culture, Beer Appreciation & Tasting, and Beer & Food Pairing
- California Restaurant Association, member
- Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education, member
- Brewers Association, member
- American Homebrewers Association, member
Awards & Certifications:
- The Tom Fine Creative Leadership Award, University of La Verne , 2004
- Outstanding Academic Advisor, The Collins School, 2003-2004
- Outstanding Academic Advisor, The Collins School, 2002-2003
- Club Managers Association of America, 1997 Faculty Internship Recipient