Phone: (909) 869-3128
Fax: (909) 869-4885
Dr. Wan Yang is an Assistant Professor in the Collins College of Hospitality Management at Cal Poly Pomona. Before joining Cal Poly Pomona, Dr. Yang taught at University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee as an Assistant Professor and Graduate Program Coordinator. Dr. Yang was born and raised in Beijing, China. She earned a Bachelor of Business Administration in Tourism Management from Fudan University, China. After graduating from college, Dr. Yang came to the United States and obtained a Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management from the Isenberg School of Management, University of Massachusetts Amherst. Inspired by her mother who is a professor in China, Dr. Yang discovered her passion for research and teaching during the years in school. She, therefore, decided to pursue a doctoral degree in Hospitality Management at the Pennsylvania State University with a Minor degree in Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management.
Dr. Yang has years of research experiences and her focal research areas are luxury consumption, consumer behavior, services marketing and cross-cultural research. She has published in top-tier hospitality and tourism journals such as International Journal of Hospitality Management, Cornell Quarterly, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, and Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research.
Dr. Yang is also very active in many hospitality professional organizations. She is currently an Associate Editor of International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. She also served as Paper Review Committee Chair for the 20th Annual Graduate Conference in Hospitality and Tourism and she is the Marketing Track Chair for the Annual Graduate Conference between 2013-2019.
Dr. Yang has worked in the hospitality industry for Holiday Inn Central Plaza, Beijing, and Revan Logistics Consulting Company, Shanghai. Her experience includes a variety of sectors in the hospitality industry such as hotel, meeting and event, and travel agency.
- The Pennsylvania State University, Ph.D. Hospitality Management
- University of Massachusetts Amherst, MS, Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Fudan University, China. BBA, Tourism Management
- Hou, Y., Yang, W.*, & Sun, Y. (2017). Do Pictures help? The Effects of Pictures and Food Names on Menu Evaluations. International Journal of Hospitality Management. 60, 94-103.
- Hanks, L. Line, N, & Yang, W. (2017). Status Seeking and Perceived Similarity: A Consideration Of Homophily In The Social Servicescape. International Journal of Hospitality Management. 60, 123-132.
- Liang, R-D., Yang, W., Chen, D-J., & Chung, Y-F. (2017). The Effect of Sales Promotions on Consumers’ Organic Food Response: An application of logistic regression model. British Food Journal, 19(6), 1247-1262.
- Yang, W.* & Mattila, A.S. (2017). The Impact of Status Seeking on Consumers' Word-of-Mouth and Product Preference - A Comparison Between Luxury Hospitality Services and Luxury Goods. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research. 41(1), 3-22.
- Yang, W.* & Mattila, A.S. (2016). Why Do We Buy Luxury Experiences?: Measuring Value Perceptions of Luxury Hospitality Services. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 28(9), 1848-1867.
- Bogicevic, V., Yang, W., Cobanoglu, C., Bilgihan, A., & Bujisic, M. (2016). Traveler Anxiety and Enjoyment: The Effect of Airport Environment on Traveler’s Emotions. Journal of Air Transport Management, 57, 122-129.
- Yang, W.*, Zhang, L, & Mattila, A.S. (2016). Luxe For Less: How Do Consumers React To Luxury Hotel Price Promotions? The Moderating Role of Consumers' Need for Status. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 57(1), 82-92.
- Yang, W.*, & Hanks, L. (2015). Preconsumption Mood, Causal Explanations, and Postrecovery Reactions. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 25, 1-22.
- Yang, W., Hanks, L., Smith, S.J., & Parsa, H.G. (2015). FDA Ruling and Nutritionally Focused Menus - Part II: Consumer Effort versus Nutritional Accuracy in Restaurant Menus. Journal of Foodservice Business Research, 18(2), 93-110.
- Yang, W.* (2015). The 20th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism. Anatolia: An International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 26(2), 313-314.
- Cobanoglu, C., Yang, W. Shatskikh, A. & Agarwal, A. (2015). Are Consumers Ready for Mobile Payment? An Examination of Consumer Acceptance of Mobile Payment Technology in Restaurant Industry. FIU Hospitality Review, 31(4). Article 6.
- Yang, W.* & Mattila, A.S. (2014). Do Affluent Customers Care When Luxury Brands Go Mass? The Role of Product Type and Status Seeking on Luxury Brand Attitude. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 26(4), 526-543.
- Malan, G., Cobanoglu, C., Waldo, R.D., & Yang, W. (2014). Managing with Style: An Analysis of work Style of Hotel Managers. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism, 13(2), 190-209.
- Yang, W.*, Mattila, A.S., & Hou, Y. (2013). The Effect of Regulatory Focus and Delay Type on Consumers’ Reactions to Delay. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 32, 113-120.
- Bogicevic, V., Yang, W., Bilgihan, A., & Bujisic, M. (2013). Airport Service Quality Drivers of Passenger Satisfaction. Tourism Review, 68(4), 3-18.
- Yang, W.* & Mattila, A.S. (2012). The Role of Tie Strength on Consumer Dissatisfaction Responses. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 31(2), 399-404.