Donors Fund a Half-Million Dollar Renovation
Industry partners are making certain that Cal Poly Pomona's hospitality management students are at the forefront of the profession by supporting a half-million dollar renovation at The Collins College of Hospitality Management.
The project included a total transformation of the dining room of The Restaurant at Kellogg Ranch (RKR) and the upgrade of the college's demonstration kitchen, allowing future hospitality leaders to access professional-quality facilities and equipment.
These renovations help keep us updated in times when technology is changing so quickly. As the future comes at light speed, the ability to work with new equipment places us in front of our competition," says hospitality management student Melissa Huang.
Renovations to The Restaurant at Kellogg Ranch include:
- New flooring and area rugs
- Cabinetry and bar surface refinishing
- New paint
- New wall and light fixtures
- New décor and artwork
- New dining tables and chairs
- New lounge furniture and lamps
- New bar seating
- Wall tiles
- Window sheers
- New industry standard culinary kitchen equipment
- Stainless steel refrigerator
- Stainless steel freezer
- New wok range
- New cast-iron grill
- New fryer
- New combi oven
- New blender
- New ADA compliant hands free hand sink
- New ADA compliant mobile prep tables
- New height adjustable mobile kitchen equipment stands
- New and upgraded audio-visual technology
- New cameras that capture and record live culinary demonstrations
- New confidence monitor for the instructor/presenter
- New projection screen
- New media credenzas to house a new blue-ray player, document camera, camera controller, recording devices and computer tower
- New control touch panel
- New mechanical, electrical and plumbing upgrade
- New state of the art hood with exhausted air (grease extractor) fan, make-up air fan, mechanical ducts, and fire suppression system
- New and upgraded LED lighting
- New code compliant grease trap
The renovations at the RKR were provided primarily by The Gettys Group, an international hotel architect firm, and R.D. Olson Development, a general contractor and construction management firm, specializing in hospitality, retail, and office building.
The Don and Lorraine Freeberg Foundation, a longtime supporter of the college, generously funded the $240,000 demonstration auditorium project, which was executed by Cal Poly Pomona's Facilities Planning and Management Department. The foundation also provided the new flooring throughout The Restaurant at Kellogg Ranch.
"With today's fast moving parts within the hospitality industry, overall pacing of renovations and redesigning are at an all-time high," says Dining Room Lecturer Jason Zhang. "The new renovation has provided the much-needed facelift that the RKR has been longing for. Psychologically speaking, individual performances are closely influenced by the specific environment that one is involved in and the new renovation gives the students additional confidence."
Hospitality management student Rachel Watts adds, "Having state-of-the-art classrooms prepares us for professional jobs as we enter the industry after graduation. It means so much to know that our donors are really invested in our futures."