American Semester Program
The American Semester Program (ASP) at Cal Poly Pomona provides the opportunity for visiting international students to take Cal Poly Pomona university courses without applying to the university. Qualified international students can enroll in up to 12 units of study per term by the permission of the course professors. American Semester Program (ASP) staff provide advising and help in selecting and enrolling in courses. Credits earned for courses taken at Cal Poly Pomona are transferable and will appear on the student’s official transcript.
Who should apply for the American Semester Program?
- Students visiting from another country who want to take Cal Poly Pomona credit courses
- Prospective graduate students who have prerequisite courses to complete before applying to a specific graduate program at Cal Poly Pomona
- Eligible Intensive English Program students who:
- Have completed CPELI Level 5 or shown a TOEFL score sufficient for Cal Poly Pomona, or
- Are attending a foundation year program in CPELI, or
- Are attending CPELI from an international partner university
- For students for whom English is not the first language, the CPELI Placement Test and Language Proficiency Scores will determine how many university courses may be taken in the ASP program
- The required scores for taking the maximum 12 university credits are: iBT TOEFL 71 or IELTS 6.0
- Students with scores of iBT TOEFL 65 and above are permitted to take 8 or fewer academic credit units in combination with intensive English language courses to equal to a full course of study for the F-1 student visa
- International students who have completed their high school studies in English are exempt from providing a Language Proficiency Score
Dates and Fees
Application Fee: $175 (includes shipping cost)
|Spring 2019||16||January 17, 2019||January 19 - May 17, 2019||$5,800|
|Summer 2019||16||May 28, 2019||May 29 - August 6, 2019||TBD|
*Additional fees may apply for labs or activities. Please see rates on the Open University website for more information.
*Please note: Beginning in Fall 2018, Cal Poly Pomona will operate on a semester system. Dates for ASP from Fall 2018 onwards are in accordance with CPP semester dates.