In Press or Published
- PJ Muhlrad, JN Clark, U Nasri, NG Sullivan, and CW LaMunyon. 2014. SPE-8, a protein-tyrosine kinase, localizes to the spermatid cell membrane through interaction with other members of the SPE-8 group spermatid activation signaling pathway in C. elegans. BMC Genetics 15:83. Get the PDF
- Biswas, A., D. Elmatari, J. Rothman, C.W. LaMunyon, and H.M. Said. 2013. Identification and functional characterization of the Caenorhabditis elegans riboflavin transporters rft-1 and rft-2. PLoS One 8(3): e58190. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0058190. Get the PDF.
- Wei-Siang Liau, Ubaydah Nasri, Daniel Elmatari, Jason Rothman, and Craig W. LaMunyon. 2013. Premature sperm activation and defective spermatogenesis caused by loss of spe-46 function in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS One 8(3): e57266. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0057266. Get the PDF.
- McKibbin, W. F., V. M. *Bates, T. K. Shackelford, C. W. LaMunyon, and C. A. Hafen. 2010. Risk of sperm competition and relationship satisfaction moderates men’s interest in their partner’s copulatory orgasm. Personality and Individual Differences 49: 961-966. Get the PDF.
- Austin, M. U., Liau, W.-S., Balamurugan, K., Ashokkumar, B., Said, H. M., and LaMunyon, C. W. 2010. Knockout of the folate transporter folt-1 causes germline and somatic defects in C. elegans. BMC Developmental Biology 10:46. Get the PDF.
- Lewis S. C., Dyal, L. A., Hilburn, C., Weitz, S., Liau, W.-S. LaMunyon, C. W., Denver, D. R. 2009. Molecular evolution in Panagrolaimus nematodes: origins of parthenogenesis, hermaphroditism and the Antarctic species P. davidi. BMC Evolutionary Biology 9:15. Get the PDF.
- Gosney, R., W.-S Liau, and C. W. LaMunyon. 2008. A novel function for the presenilin family member spe-4: inhibition of spermatid activation in Caenorhabditis elegans. BMC Developmental Biology 8:44
- Jong, A., C.-H. Wu, H.-M. Chen, F. Luo, Kwon-Chung, J., Chang, Y., C. W. LaMunyon, A. Plaas, and S.-H. Huang. 2007. Identification and characterization of CPS1 as a hyaluronic acid synthase contributing to the pathogenesis of C. neoformans infection. Eukaryotic Cell 6:1486-1496
- Liau, W.-S., A. Gonzalez-Serricchio, C. Deshommes, K. Chin, and C. W. LaMunyon. 2007. A persistent mitochondrial deletion reduces fitness and sperm performance in heteroplasmic populations of C. elegans. BMC Genetics 8:8
- LaMunyon, C. W., O. Bouban, and A. D. Cutter. 2007. Effects of sperm competition on genetic diversity in experimental populations of C. elegans. Journal of Heredity 98: 67-72
- Curril, I. M. and C. W. LaMunyon. 2006. Sperm storage and arrangement within females of the arctiid moth Utetheisa ornatrix. Journal of Insect Physiology, 52: 1182-1188
- Goetz, A. T., T. K. Shackelford, V. A. Weekes-Shackelford, H. A. Euler, S. Hoier, D. P. Schmitt, and C. W. LaMunyon. 2005. Mate retention, semen displacement, and human sperm competition: a preliminary investigation of tactics to prevent and correct female infidelity. Personality and Individual Differences. 38: 749-76
- Shackelford, T. K., N. Pound, A. T. Goetz and C. W. LaMunyon. 2005. Human sperm competition and the far-reaching consequences of female infidelity. In: Buss, D., A Handbook of Evolutionary Psychology. J. Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ
- Shackelford, T. K., A. T. Goetz, C. W. LaMunyon, B. J. Quintus, and V. A. Weekes-Shackelford. 2004. Sex differences in sexual psychology produce sex-similar preferences for a short-term mate personal relationships. Archives of Sexual Behavior. 33: 405-412
- Bernays, E. A., R. F. Chapman, C. W. LaMunyon, and T. Hartmann. 2003. Taste receptors for pyrrolizidine alkaloids in a monophagous caterpillar that uses them for defense and pheromone synthesis. J. Chemical Ecology. 29: 1709-1722
- LaMunyon, C. W., and Todd K. Shackelford. 2002. Commentary: Evolutionary hypotheses must be pluralistic and falsifiable. Behavior and Brain Sciences. 25: 522-523
- LaMunyon, C. W. and S. Ward. 2002. Evolution of larger sperm in response to experimentally increased sperm competition in C. elegans. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 269: 1125-1128
- Note: The above paper was the subject of an article in Science: Size for breeding, 269: 1571
- LaMunyon, C. W. 2001 Determinants of sperm precedence in a noctuid moth (Heliothis virescens): a role for male age. Ecological Entomology 26: 388-394
- LaMunyon, C. W. and T. S. Huffman. 2001 Determinants of sperm transfer by males of the noctuid moth Heliothis virescens. J. Insect Behavior 14:187-199
- LaMunyon, C. W. 2000 Sperm storage by female tobacco budworm moths, Heliothis virescens. Animal Behaviour 59:395-402
- LaMunyon, C. W. and S. Ward. 1999. Evolution of sperm size in nematodes: sperm competition favours larger sperm. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 266:263-267
- LaMunyon, C. W. and S. Ward. 1998. Larger sperm outcompete smaller sperm in the nematode C. elegans. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 265:1997-2002
- LaMunyon, C. W. 1997 Increased fecundity, as a function of multiple mating, in an arctiid moth (Utetheisa ornatrix). Ecol. Entomol. 22:60-73
- LaMunyon, C. W. and S. Ward. 1997. Increased competitiveness of nematode sperm bearing the male X chromosome. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA 94:185-189
- Note: The above paper was the subject of an article in Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13(6):220-221
- LaMunyon, C. W. and S. Ward. 1995 Sperm precedence in a hermaphroditic Nematode (Caenorhabditis elegans) is due to competitive superiority of male sperm. Experientia 51:817-823
- LaMunyon, C. W. and S. Ward. 1994. Assessing the viability of mutant and manipulated sperm by artificial insemination of Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 138:689-692
- LaMunyon, C. W. and T. Eisner 1994. Spermatophore size as a determinant of paternity in an arctiid moth (Utetheisa ornatrix). Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., USA 91:7081-7084
- LaMunyon, C. W. 1994. Paternity in naturally-occurring Utetheisa ornatrix (Lepidoptera: Arctiidae) as estimated using enzyme polymorphism. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 34:403-408
- LaMunyon, C. W. and T. Eisner 1993. Post-copulatory sexual selection in an arctiid moth (Utetheisa ornatrix). Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., USA 90:4689-4692.
- Note: The above paper was the subject of articles in The New York Times (18 May 1993), Nature (363:301) and Discover Magazine (Sept. 1993)
- LaMunyon, C. and T. Eisner 1990. Effect of mite infestation on the anti-predator defenses of an insect. Psyche 97:31-41
- LaMunyon, C. 1988. Hindgut changes preceding pupation and related cocoon structure in Chrysoperla comanche Banks (Neuroptera, Chrysopidae). Psyche 95:203-209
- LaMunyon, C. W. and P. A. Adams 1987. Use and effect of an anal defensive secretion in larval Chrysopidae (Neuroptera). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 80:804-808