Skip To Content

Hospital Accompaniment

Hospital Accompaniment Protocol

Who goes to the hospital first?

Follow normal protocols for emergency response. Call the University Police at (909) 869-3070

When a student is being transported to the hospital, the chief of police (or designee) will decide if a staff member needs to accompany the student to the hospital. (The person should use his or her own vehicle.)  

If the answer is yes, the police dispatcher will be informed that the hospital accompaniment protocol has been activated. The chief of police (or designee's) answer will most likely tell the staff member to accompany the student to the hospital in the following four cases:

  • Traumatic life-threatening injury.
  • Loss of consciousness (student unable to respond when ready to be transported).
  • Altered level of consciousness (student unable to respond when ready to be transported).
  • International student (International Center or CPELI). Police dispatch will notify Extended University.
  • First point of contract staff member on the scene should be a person that has received proper training for the normal hospital accompaniment protocol.  This person agrees to communicate any and all information with the AVP/DOS.

Notification of official university representative

The police dispatcher will contact the dean of students on campus, at home or by cell. The dean of students will have all the university representatives' contact information and will call one of the university representatives and ask him or her to relieve the staff member. 

The dean of students will take into consideration where the university representatives live and which hospital the student is being taken to when asking them to respond to the emergency.

  1. Acting Associate Vice President & Dean of Students - Byron Howlett - Primary contact (909) 869-3306
  2. Associate Vice President for Student Services - Kevin Colaner
  3. Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Administration - Chris Chisler
  4. Acting Director, Office of Student Life and Cultural Centers - La'Keisha Beard
  5. Director, University Housing Services - Megan Stang
  6. Director, Residence Life, University Housing Services - Reyes Luna
  7. Senior Residence Life Team member, University Housing Services - Christine Orgeta
  8. Director, University Foundation Housing - Ken Fisher
  9. Complex Coordinator, University Village - Dave Laxamana

Role of university representative

  1. Provide comfort.
  2. Officially represent CPP and "get in the door" at the hospital.
  3. Serve as official liaison to the university. Collect information to pass on to others.
  4. Other campus partners will be working on details (checking on emergency contacts and making necessary calls, etc.).
  5. Let the university know when the emergency contact person or family member (or Renaissance Scholars, International Center, English Language Institute) has arrived at the hospital. As soon as an emergency contact, family member or friend arrives, the university representative may leave.
  6. If the student regains consciousness, is over 18 and states that he or she does not want the emergency contact notified, document this, and you may leave.
  7. In some cases, the emergency contact will have already been notified and he or she will be en route to the hospital.  Then, the staff member that is at the hospital will take care of the transition.
  8. Each situation will be different, but the representative should be able to "hand off" the hospital accompaniment responsibilities to another person within three to four hours if the situation requires a long-term stay at the hospital.

Emergency contact numbers

Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center
1798 North Garey Avenue, Pomona, CA 91767
(909) 865-9500

San Dimas Community Hospital
1350 West Covina Boulevard, San Dimas, CA 91773
(909) 599-6811

Kaiser Permanente Baldwin Park
1011 Baldwin Park Boulevard, Baldwin Park, CA 91706
(626) 851-1011

Los Angeles County + USC Medical Center
1983 Marengo Street, Los Angeles, CA 90033
(323) 226-2622