Developing a Strong Sense of Belonging
Allow me to be one of the first to welcome you all to California State Polytechnic University in the great City of Pomona. Cal Poly Pomona prides itself as one of the best hands-on learning educational institutions in the country. We firmly believe in our “learning by doing” educational approach to intellectual and human engagement, both in and out of the classroom.
Congratulations on this major life milestone in reaching your postsecondary educational goal. You belong here! You have earned it! You are now a part of the Bronco family!
Now, you must do the work. Simply being accepted into this amazing institution is not enough. As you begin this journey, allow me to provide some helpful tips:
1. Develop a strong working relationship with your faculty – they are here to help you succeed!
2. Get involved in any of our over 320 student organizations
3. Become a part of the Associated Students, Incorporated (ASI) – a student government corporation that makes things happen on our campus through extensive resources, student advocacy, and representation.
4. Participate in CPP Fest, Homecoming, the Rose Float parade, and the hundreds of other annual events that will happen throughout the academic year.
5. Visit our Office of Student Life and Cultural Centers, our Bronco Dreamers Resource Center, and the Office of the Dean of Students.
6. Take advantage of opportunities at The Career Center – It is never too early to begin your resume.
7. Support our student athletes and practice your Bronco cheer at one of our (10) championship winning Division II sport teams competitions.
8. Visit our historic Arabian Horse Center and catch one of the amazing shows offered during the academic year (First Sunday of every month).
9. Showcase your entrepreneurial spirit at the annual Bronco (Start-Up) Challenge.
10. Whatever path you choose, enjoy your journey!
The college experience is rigorous; it is meant to challenge you; and it is meant to test your will. However, if you dare to engage with faculty in the classroom and step out of your comfort zone outside of the classroom; there is nothing you cannot accomplish. This is your institution, make it work for you!
Feel free to contact the Office of the Dean of Students should you ever need support, services, direction, or just someone to talk to. We are honored to assist you and look forward to being your support network if and when you need us. We are here for you!
At CPP, your success is our priority!
Welcome to Cal Poly Pomona! Go Broncos!
Thomas A. Cruz-Soto, Jr.
Associate Vice President and Dean of Students