Student Death Protocol
Initial Notice of Student Death
A student’s death has a significant impact upon the entire university community, calling for a sensitive and well-planned response. The associate vice president & dean of students has the responsibility for coordinating the university’s response to a student death. To serve the needs of the family, students and campus, our plan is designed to:
- Provide for appropriate notifications, consultations, support, counseling and follow-up services.
- Involve all necessary campus units in the response effort.
Anyone on the campus may be notified of a student’s passing. If you are notified, we need your help.
If you are contacted
- Immediately call the Associate Vice President & Dean of Students Office at (909) 869-3306 with the name and phone number of the person who notified you about the death.
- Be sensitive to the situation and assure the person that we will assist the family during this difficult time.
- Inform the person that they will be contacted shortly by the Associate Vice President & Dean of Students Office to provide university assistance.
Family contact information (or family designee)
Phone Number ( )___________________________
To make the necessary notifications and to provide support, let the person know that we will be asking them a few important questions. Always refer to the student by his/her given name, e.g., Cindy… (not “the victim” or “deceased”). We will be collecting the following vital information:
- First, middle and last name of student
- BroncoID number (if known)
- College and major
- Date of death
- Ask "What happened?" This allows the person to give us as much or as little information as he or she feels comfortable sharing.