Alternate Media (Alt Media) refers to the conversion of printed course materials into an alternate, accessible format. This accommodation ensures students with visual, information-processing, or strength/dexterity disabilities access to their textbooks and all printed course-related materials.
Process for Use of Alternate Media
- Student registers for classes during Priority Registration (Students approved for Alt Media are also approved for Priority Registration to allow DRC to accommodate the request in a timely manner.)
- Student submits an Accommodation Request through DRC Online Services, selecting Alternate Media for each class in which it’s needed. Requests should be made within 2 weeks of the early registration period. Requests are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- DRC emails a Notification of Accommodation to each instructor
- DRC will email the student when Alt Media materials are ready to be downloaded
- Notify Alt Media Coordinator of any changes to the class schedule related to materials being converted.
- Submit a course syllabus including reading assignment dates if requested.
- Submit all classroom handouts to be modified one week before needed.
- Provide evidence of possession of a copy of the textbook(s).
- Respond promptly to notification letters when necessary
- Ensure classroom materials, such as presentations, readers, handouts, and websites are fully accessible.
- Submit book requisitions to the campus bookstore per the Bronco Bookstore faculty guidelines.
- Ensure online materials are created in an accessible format.