Recording class lectures is permitted for eligible DRC students when the student provides notification of the approved accommodation to their instructors. The DRC student must provide their own recording device.
Process for Use of Audio-Recording
- DRC student submits an Accommodation Request through DRC Online Services, selecting Audio-Recording for each class in which it’s needed.
- DRC emails a Notification of Accommodation to each instructor.
- Student brings their own recording device to each class.
Use of this accommodation is conditional on the student’s adherence to the following agreement. Upon request, instructors have the option of having the student sign a paper version of the agreement.
- Recorded material will be used by the student for personal use only and will not be shared with others.
- Recorded material is protected under federal and international copyright legislation and may not be published or quoted (this includes social media) without the instructor’s explicit consent and without properly identifying and crediting the lecturer.
- Recorded material will be destroyed at the end of the quarter.
- In some cases recording is prohibited at the discretion of the instructor when the content involves personal discussion and/or self-disclosure. In these cases, the student will work with the instructor to obtain alternative notetaking assistance to supplement these sections of the course.
- Violation of any of the conditions of the agreement will be reported to Student Conduct and Integrity and subject to disciplinary action which may include suspension or expulsion from the University.