Lab Directors: D. Fitzgerald
Courses Offered: ECE109L, ECE207L, ECE310L, ECE468L, ECE469L, ECE421, ECE422, ETE152, ETE153, ETE253, ETE254, ETE355, ETE260, ETE479
Laboratory Size: 1226 square feet
Average # of students per year: 369
Provides equipment for ECE Core Power lab (ECE360), Power Electronics (ECE468L, ECE469L) , and can be used for lower level networks (ECE109L, ETE153L) and for non-major (ECE231L) labs.
- The lab is set up with 12 Lab Volt Machine test stands. All 12 benches have capability for 3-phase and 1-phase power experiments. Equipment (transformers, capacitors, etc.) for a variety of labs is stored bin the room. Each bench is equipped with a DC power supply, digital multimeter(s), a frequency counter, signal generator, and a scope.
- 12 new Digital Oscilloscopes Tektronix 2022A (spare parts ARE available)
- 12 Agilent 33210A function generators
- 12 AC digital wattmeters
Current Problems with the Laboratory:
- The experiments currently use primarily analog meters which are more vulnerable to damage, costly to repair , and generally less accurate than modern digital power meters. The bench digital meters are not suitable for many of the power experiments.
- There are not enough machine test stands which leads to overcrowded conditions.
- The support equipment (variable loads, tachometers, etc.) are insufficient or inadequate.
- The Lab Volt Machine test sets should be retrofitted with a "stiffer" dynamometer setup utilizing strain gauges and torque readouts.
- Five 3-phase Squirell cage Induction motors.
- Five DC machines
- 12 Lab Volt virtual instruments interface units for rotating machines.
- 12 computers
- Five Power factor meters
- Five Magtran training systems (Lab Volt Magnetic experiments)
- Ten Digital RPM meters. The rpm meters may be retrofitted into current and future sets.