MSCE Program - Transportation Engineering Emphasis
The MSCE transportation engineering emphasis prepares graduates to work in the planning, analysis, design, operation, and maintenance of transportation facilities. The program is closely affiliated with Cal Poly Pomona's master's degree program in Urban and Regional Planning.
The transportation engineering curriculum consists of 45 quarter units of coursework, which is equivalent to 30 semester units. This coursework consists of required courses, elective courses, and a master's project or thesis, as described below:
Required Courses (17 Units)
- CE 502 Applied Probability Concepts in Civil Engineering (4)
- CE 580 Design of Transportation Facilities (4)
- CE 582 Traffic Flow Analysis (4)
- CE 584 Transportation Administration and Policy (4)
- CE 690 Research Methods (1)
CE 580, CE 582 and CE 584L are intended to be completed during the first year of graduate study.
Elective Courses (20-24 units)
Students who choose to do a master's project will need to complete 24 units of electives, while those who choose to do a master's thesis will need 20 units. Select these electives from the following list:
- CE 505 GIS Applications in Civil Engineering (4)
- CE 586 Public Transportation (4)
- CE 588 Pavement Design (4)
- CE 590 Signal Design, Operations, and Control (4)
- CE 591 Intelligent Transportation Systems (4)
- CE 592 Transportation Planning Analysis (4)
- CE 594 Airport Engineering (4)
- CE 599 Special Topics for Graduate Students (1-4)
- EC 659 Seminar in Transportation Economics (4)
- URP 535 Regional Transportation Planning and Policy (4)
- Up to 8 units of approved coursework outside of transportation engineering
Elective courses may include up to 8 units of approved 400-level courses that are relevant to the program of study, so long as these or equivalent courses have not already been used for credit toward an undergraduate degree.
Approved courses include the following:
- CE 428/L Urban Transportation (3/1) or URP 488/L Urban Transportation Planning (3/1)
- CE 429/L Traffic Engineering (3/1)
- CE 480/L Advanced Highway Design (3/1)
- EC 433 Economics of Transportation (4)
Master's Project or Thesis
Each student must complete either a master's project CE 695 for a total of 4 units) or a master's thesis (CE 696 for a total of 8 units).
See the University Catalog for more details on each of these courses.
Program of Study
Each graduate student must meet with his or her academic advisor to develop a written course of study that outlines the specific courses the student will take to complete the MSCE degree. The approved program of study must be submitted before completing the first quarter.
The following forms and information will be useful in preparing your program of study:
- Schedule of planned course offerings
- MSCE Transportation Program Plans:
- Guidelines, Policies, and Procedures for Master's Projects and Master's Theses
Initial academic advisers are assigned as based on the first letter of the student's last name
- A-F: Dr. Cheng
- G-L: Dr. Jia
- M-S: Dr. Wu
- T-Z: Dr. Ye