Chemical Engineering Program
Mission, Objectives & Outcomes
The mission of the Chemical Engineering Program is to prepare graduates who will contribute effectively to an interconnected global society by providing them with a strong foundation in engineering fundamentals, excellent hands-on engineering skills and extensive training in communication and teamwork.
Program Educational Objectives
The program educational objectives of the BS in Chemical Engineering Program at Cal Poly Pomona are to develop engineers who will:
- Recognize, state and solve problems with attention to economics, the environment, health and safety,
- Apply their ideas to create practical solutions
- Clearly communicate and implement solutions
- Tackle new problems and explore new developments using chemical engineering principles.
- Be active life-long learners, and
- Be responsible citizens.
The student outcomes of the BS in Chemical Engineering Program at Cal Poly Pomona are:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- an ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global economic, environmental and societal context
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.