- Manufacturing engineering majors Eric Cramer and Jon Schacht and industrial engineering major Ion Darmancev entered their cutting-edge water purification system into the Product and Manufacturing Systems Design Contest at the Small Manufacturers Institute/Society of Manufacturing Engineers Show in Santa Fe Springs, April 18, 2015. As a result the IME Department at Cal Poly Pomona walked away with the Grand Prize - “best-of-show” project - over 15 other regional colleges and universities! Both the project and the presentation to a panel of judges were exceptional--especially in the face of some very impressive challengers. Congratulations to these students on a job well done as well as their project advisor, Prof. Dixon Davis, P.E. The project used an impressive systems approach to address the problem of designing an affordable water filtration and purification system that could be used in remote third-world locations. The solution had to take into account many factors and still produce a useful volume of safe water. The system includes manual pumping and solar power for situations when other energy sources are not available. An ozone generator is a major component in the purification system. Niagra, a local water bottling company, helped by providing water testing and analysis during the project.
Dr. Victor Okhuysen
- Congratulations to IME Professor, Dr. Victor Okhuysen for receiving the FEF/AFS Distinguished Professor Award at the 2014 FEF College Industry Conference held November 20-21 at the Westin Michigan Avenue in Chicago. The award is in appreciation for the furtherance of the goals and ideals of the Foundry Educational Foundation.
Dr. Kamran Abedini
- Congratulations to Dr. Kamran Abedini on receiving both the College of Engineering Outstanding Advisor and Outstanding Teacher Awards for 2013. Dr. Abedini is one of the best teachers at the university. He is clearly one of the best overall advisors if you combine academic, project, club, and personal advising. What Dr. Abednini has done with IIE is exemplary. He has a way of cultivating student leaders and training them to excel. He is also great at preparing students for competition and motivating them to participate. His work with the Persian community on and off campus is a demonstration of outstanding visionary leadership.
Dr. Shokoufeh Mirzaei
- Congratulations to Dr. Shokoufeh Mirzaei (second from the right), Professor of Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering. She was just invited to the White House Champions for Change event for her participation in developing a mobile app for the good of the community.
James Ko, Abby Almonte and Ryan Amigliore
- Congratulations to James Ko, Abby Almonte, and Ryan Amigliore (shown above with Advisor, Dr. Kamran Abedini) for winning First Place in the 2013 IIE Western Regional Technical Paper Competition in February and First Place in the Cal Poly Project Symposium Showcase in June. Their projecttitle was: Optimization of a Manufacturing Cell at Edwards Lifesciences.
- We are sad to report the passing of one of the favorite faculty memers of the IME Department, Dr. William F. (Bill) Girouard on January 3, 2013, at the age of 91. (Obituary)
- Bill retired from industry at the age of 65 and immediately began teaching full time in the IME Department for the next 20 years. During those years Bill was actively involved with the department, college, and university in a variety of capacities including charing major committees. Bill was a great friend to everyone and a favorite teacher among the students. In 2002 Bill was awarded the highest honor given to a faculty member: The George P. Hart Award for Outstanding Faculty Leadership (press release). Bill said many times that his work at Cal Poly Pomona was the most satisfying of his career. (Polycentric article)
- IE major Derek Nakamoto is participating in American Ninja program on TV. He learned how to compete by taking the IME Ninja Option and learning all his tricks from Ninja masters Drs. Abedini and Okhuysen. Click here to see Derek in action
- IE Graduate Linda Russell (2004) has been writing and recording music for her latest musical group Light Drive.
- IEStudent Kim Collins (far right) is a member and past President of the Broncettes Dance Team of Cal Poly Pomona. The Broncettes perform at basketball games and other campus events
IME on the JMT -Aleksandra Davis (BS Business, MS Business), Dixon Davis (MFE, MSEM), David Rosenkrantz (MFE student), IME Professor Phil Rosenkrantz, and Bill De Witt (MFE) on the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California